Likes Likes:  221
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ««««««««« WRUW - Saturday - 17 November 2018 »»»»»»»»»

Joining the Omega parade today—it’s a Snowy Snoopy Saturday for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Two watches for tomorrow. Back in about 1986, I was much younger and only a little more foolish than I am now. I didn't have much money and two cats who needed spay and neuter. I happened upon a cat rescue group set up in a mall, who offered to do them for a very low price. I really appreciated their kind offer. In 2000, I joined them as a volunteer to help a little in paying back that kindness. Eighteen years later....
    Tomorrow I'll be volunteering at the second of our twice-yearly fundraisers. I'll wear my old DW-1000. It's the actual watch I owned back in the 80s when this group helped me and my cats, and it's the watch I wear at each of these events, for old time's sake:
    Attachment 80986

Tomorrow evening, I will attend the AGM for the local chapter of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, and my final official act on our board of directors, calling the elections for the new, incoming board of directors. I will still be engaged in teaching, public outreach, and research, but it will be strange to no longer be in the running of the group. A little bittersweet. My watch for the AGM will be a Pulsar Time Computer P4-series Executive:
    Attachment 80987

And so it goes......

~Sherry.
    I know what you mean. I went to my company’s board dinner last week, at which they wished me a formal goodbye. Even though I’ve been officially retired since July, after the dinner it really felt final. I don’t regret retiring, but I definitely miss my work comrades.

Speedy stereo in Berlin.

Sent from Maxwell Smart's shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    I love the stories that show up behind these pictures of watches. Thank you for making it so interesting!

For me on Saturday, in smoke shrouded northern California, I have the lume dial Airman Base 22. It makes me pause a bit to ponder how we think about brands after they have been purchased and subsumed by entities we don't prefer. In my subconscious, Invicta weakened my love for this limited edition, a treasure for me when I bought it used some years ago. We tend to think retroactively, don't we? This is about ten years old, but metaphorically tainted by Invicta, ex post facto? Some brands escape zombie status because of exclusivity (Breguet? Lange? I would like one, yes, thank you.) We're a funny bunch aren't we?
    I feel the same about Eterna. Even though they're still making great watches, it seems a little....different....now that their ownership has gone from Swiss family-owned independent to Chinese holding conglomerate. I probably shouldn't feel weird about it; the brand doesn't seem to have suffered much by the change (and at least they're still in business), but still...

Same with Zodiac and Fossil.

Oh well.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmaster View Post
    This is a bloody well balanced chrono dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    Speedy stereo in Berlin.

The hell, you and your friend both got them?

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    I feel the same about Eterna. Even though they're still making great watches, it seems a little....different....now that their ownership has gone from Swiss family-owned independent to Chinese holding conglomerate. I probably shouldn't feel weird about it; the brand doesn't seem to have suffered much by the change (and at least they're still in business), but still...

Same with Zodiac and Fossil.

Oh well.
    I didn't know about Eterna and waited for a 40mm KonTiki. After how I burnt myself with Zodiac, ciao, hopes and dreams.

8. Likes popoki nui, Strela167, Jazzmaster liked this post
    Kalmar 2

Cheers,

Chris

Yeah, pretty nice souveniers from a concert trip to Berlin, I would say.

Actually these were in the pipeline for a pretty long time. Official justification for wifes is our 50th birthdays coming in next January/March.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    The hell, you and your friend both got them?

FROGGY

Regards Phil
    Moderator German Watches & Dive Watches