Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Pogue: did Watch Time get it wrong?

Pogue: did Watch Time get it wrong?

Hey Seiko fans,
    On page 111 of April's Watch Time, they discuss the 6139 chronos. Then in the last paragraph they go on to say:

"The next year [1970], Seiko introduced Caliber 6138, with an added hour counter. This watch accompanied the astronaut William Reid Pogue on the SkyLab 4 mission 1973, earning Seiko the added distinction of being the manufacturer of the first automatic chronograph in outer space."

Eh? The 6138 was the Pogue? From everything I've ever read on the subject -including the documentation from Col. Pogue himself- shows the (yellow-dial) 6139 with 30-min counter only as the true "Pogue".

Did Watch Time get it wrong?

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

2. Likes Chase, is that my watch liked this post
    Darned if I know, but I'll have to give the article a read anyways.

I do have this one that is fully restored and serviced, but its a tough one to get a strap on (needs really thin skived 19mm) so have never actually worn it. I'd like to some day. I'll have to get off my butt and make a strap for it!
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture74706-image.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  43.9 KB

4. Likes popoki nui, ljb187 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Hey Seiko fans,
    On page 111 of April's Watch Time, they discuss the 6139 chronos. Then in the last paragraph they go on to say:

"The next year [1970], Seiko introduced Caliber 6138, with an added hour counter. This watch accompanied the astronaut William Reid Pogue on the SkyLab 4 mission 1973, earning Seiko the added distinction of being the manufacturer of the first automatic chronograph in outer space."

Eh? The 6138 was the Pogue? From everything I've ever read on the subject -including the documentation from Col. Pogue himself- shows the (yellow-dial) 6139 with 30-min counter only as the true "Pogue".

Did Watch Time get it wrong?

~Sherry.
    I don't get the publication, but it sounds like it. THIS is a Pogue, 6139 day/date minute counter.

The addition of the words "in space" is also completely unnecessary when they say "..being the manufacturer of the first automatic chronograph"

6. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Yes

They did
    Here's a useful Hodinkee article on vintage Seiko chronos, covering firsts, Pogues and 6138s and -9s
    http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2012/5/...ing-guide.html
    Enjoy!
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

9. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Good spot, Sherry. I do love the Pogue. If I ever get round to buying a birth year watch it might well be one of those.

11. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Yep...that's the one! Methinks a letter to the editor is in order.

~Sherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    I don't get the publication, but it sounds like it. THIS is a Pogue, 6139 day/date minute counter.

The addition of the words "in space" is also completely unnecessary when they say "..being the manufacturer of the first automatic chronograph"
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Yes they are wrong. That and the 6309 diver are my two favorite vintage Seiko. Pepsi bezel with yellow dial sounds strange, but looks cool.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

14. Likes popoki nui liked this post