Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To service or not to service?

To service or not to service?

I just bought a watch on ebay. It is a 1950 Bulova and my first thought was to get it serviced.

I opened it up and there are a few fibers (fibres) on the movement which I could remove myself with tweezers.

The watch itself is keeping good time, so would you have it serviced or wait until it had a problem?
    There's nothing important to read here.

I would if i were you. just to have peace of mind and long term enjoyment..

3. Likes Colin63 liked this post
    I agree with lyonk.

If the watch was worth buying it's worth servicing. It's tempting to wait for a problem but it's a false economy.

5. Likes iyonk, Colin63, scottjc liked this post
    i have the opposite view -if it aint broke why fix it - you say its keeping good time presumably within the parameters of a vintage watch -cardinal sin on here not to show images of the watch by the way- maybe you will not have a problem - a service would double your outlay straightaway i suspect it is not a watch that is expected to be worn daily - have faith !!

7. Likes Colin63, rfortson liked this post
    I (eventually) service everything I purchase with an unknown service history. In my opinion, if you wait until there is an obvious problem, you are doing some (small) amount of damage.
    Nothing goes on my wrist (or in my pocket) as part of the standard rotation unless I can document WHEN the last service was.

If you can see loose material in the movement, there is probably other stuff that you can't see.

By "service", I mean Clean, Oil, and Adjust. No cosmetic work, no "restoration", except as needed to make the watch functional. Even at this level, a COA (plus anything else needed) often approaches or exceeds the purchase price. But - to *not* service is a bit like buying a car and doing absolutely nothing except put gas in the tank - until it doesn't work anymore. At that point, the only option is to throw it away and start over.

For some cars (and some watches, perhaps) this might be justified. It's up to you to decide.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

9. Likes Colin63 liked this post
    Wait & see if it's a keeper.
    If it keeps good time and has an OK power reserve, what's the rush?
    :-)
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

11. Likes Der Amf, Colin63, rfortson liked this post
    Older watches: get it serviced. Older movements often means parts are scarce. Wearing out hard-to-find movement parts is asking for trouble.

Newer watches (or more common movements like 2824-2): I let them go until they cause problems.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

13. Likes Colin63 liked this post
    Personally, I only get things serviced when there's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    i have the opposite view -if it aint broke why fix it - you say its keeping good time presumably within the parameters of a vintage watch -cardinal sin on here not to show images of the watch by the way- maybe you will not have a problem - a service would double your outlay straightaway i suspect it is not a watch that is expected to be worn daily - have faith !!
    Here it is

Name:  tmp_28772-IMG_20150327_171922-498365785.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  53.0 KB
    There's nothing important to read here.

16. Likes shameless, popoki nui, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin63 View Post
    Here it is

Name:  tmp_28772-IMG_20150327_171922-498365785.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  53.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1096.jpg