Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scuba Dude Help

Scuba Dude Help

I've been wanting a Scuba Dude for a long time, and I've decided this will be the summer I get it. Now, here's the problem: which one? I really like the look of the original case, but I would like to avoid the 18mm lug-width case because, well, I have a crap-ton of 22mm straps. I could get the case with the 22mm lugs but I'm not terribly fond of how the case looks, at least how it looks in pictures. I need help from the experts and those with experience. My research has winnowed the contenders to the 090 case with 22mm lugs or the 420 case with 18mm lugs. If I was going purely on aesthetics, I would get the 420 case, but it's not always easy to make decisions when one is laying down $70 for watch, now is it?

Who has experience with the 090 case? I believe this is also called a ministry case. I'm wondering how the size compares with the 420 case, etc., and if there really is much difference between the two. Any help would be appreciated.

-hayday

420 case:

Name:  Scuba Dude 420.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  65.4 KB

090 case:

Name:  Scuba Dude 090.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  58.7 KB
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I've been wanting a Scuba Dude for a long time, and I've decided this will be the summer I get it. Now, here's the problem: which one? I really like the look of the original case, but I would like to avoid the 18mm lug-width case because, well, I have a crap-ton of 22mm straps. I could get the case with the 22mm lugs but I'm not terribly fond of how the case looks, at least how it looks in pictures. I need help from the experts and those with experience. My research has winnowed the contenders to the 090 case with 22mm lugs or the 420 case with 18mm lugs. If I was going purely on aesthetics, I would get the 420 case, but it's not always easy to make decisions when one is laying down $70 for watch, now is it?

Who has experience with the 090 case? I believe this is also called a ministry case. I'm wondering how the size compares with the 420 case, etc., and if there really is much difference between the two. Any help would be appreciated.

-hayday

420 case:

Name:  Scuba Dude 420.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  65.4 KB

090 case:

Name:  Scuba Dude 090.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  58.7 KB
    well the old 70.s one's some were manual some was auto but if you go for the 090 case: you get the look of the 70's in case design and yet a mordern fresh design of dials the cccp early bostok fibbies does not have the most wow designs of dials but I have been on the look out for one for display then I will probably pick up a 090 as a daily beater there are a couple of threads to look at with some good seller knocking around will have a look for them and add them in on this comment ..

but saying that got a friend went with the 420 looks ok he had problem with the fly wheel but that could be a one of more then likely but it looks to vossie alike to me I like the difference in case designs and have notice if it was not for you and you was to move it on the 090 seem to fetch a better price on the bay so think I would go for something like this personnel

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RUSSIAN-VOSTO...item1c3388c2bc

edit

http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...WLEDGE-BANK-**

http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...s-we-seen-****

http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...t-my-amphibian
    Last edited by is that my watch; Mar 29, 2015 at 07:13 AM.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

4. Likes Smeagal, DJW GB, hayday liked this post

6. Likes is that my watch, Smeagal, DJW GB, hayday liked this post
    Just a few words and pic’s from my experience with Vostok Amphibia’s . Of the few I have with 20mm lugs there are 2 x 090 cases, 2 x 710 (ministry) cases a 420, and a 110. All of these have the same size dial, a couple are SE dials. I find the 090 cases fit my 7 ¼” wrist just right and although they look bulky they don’t feel it. Actually I have just come back from a few days away and the only watch I took was the 090 SE on the STD rubber strap and I hardly noticed it, very comfortable. The case I have found to be an acquired fit is the 110, it doesn’t fit my wrist very well with a Nato strap but ok with leather. As for the watches themselves they are great value strong lumps of steel , accuracy wise all mine are within + / - 10 – 15 a day some are only +4 . They have a well documented way of winding up if you need although a few shakes sets them off for the day usually. The screw down crown when pulled out fully WILL wobble about and this is normal just unscrewing it will put it in the wind mode. There are an abundant of styles and dials available and I would say imo they are fantastic value. Setting the date can be a chore as there is no quick set but no dates are available, and personally it doesn’t bother me. There are some great online sellers out there most of mine came from Meranom (about 2 weeks to the UK) one from Chistopol city (about the same ) also Zenitar on eBay has an excellent record. The Meranom SE ‘s are a bit more pricy but more unique and the Amphibian classic have more choice and are basically the same watch. The choice is yours. DW.

Name:  P1110439 1 (450x600).jpg
Views: 203
Size:  175.9 KB 420 case SE

Name:  P1110444 6 (550x413).jpg
Views: 170
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  P1110440 2 (450x600).jpg
Views: 168
Size:  172.6 KB 110 case (std Amphibian)

Name:  P1110445 7 (550x413).jpg
Views: 123
Size:  104.0 KB

8. Likes is that my watch, hayday liked this post
    Name:  P1110441 3 (450x600).jpg
Views: 166
Size:  161.0 KB 710 (ministry case)

Name:  P1110446 8 (550x413).jpg
Views: 147
Size:  102.8 KB

10. Likes is that my watch, hayday, Churchy liked this post
    Name:  P1110442 4 (450x600).jpg
Views: 171
Size:  167.0 KB 090 SE case

Name:  P1110447 9 (550x413).jpg
Views: 159
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  P1110443 5 (450x600).jpg
Views: 151
Size:  173.7 KB 090 case

Name:  P1110448 11 (550x413).jpg
Views: 135
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  P1110449 12 (450x600).jpg
Views: 179
Size:  218.2 KB Group shot .

12. Likes is that my watch, hayday liked this post
    I don't know any of the differences but based on your post I woukd go w/ the 090 case, love the case shape

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

14. Likes hayday liked this post
    I had an old version of the 090 case which had a 18mm strap instead of the 22mm on the new one.

It is a heavier watch then the 420 but not a lot. I think the 22mm strap on that case would be a huge improvement over the 18mm on the old case.

Personally I like the 420 more but the 090 is not a bad choice by any means.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

16. Likes hayday liked this post
    It would be nice to see them both in person. I suspect that the larger 90 case would be fine, but I can't tell by only looking at pictures. I definitely prefer the 420 case, but, again, this is only going by pictures. I know this is hard to do, but can anyone give some kind of gauge as how much case is exposed at the edge of the bezel? It looks substantial, but pictures may be deceiving. The dial just looks a bit small on the 90 case.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Leave it with me .DW.

sent from Billy super-Duper

19. Likes is that my watch, hayday liked this post