Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **** The name of things ****

**** The name of things ****

I was chatting on a thread and it amused me I guess where some one lived because they used the term thrift store to me that has always seem to be a american word. I would say a charity shop but I suppose on thinking about it.. is a thrift store more like a second hand store or is it a charity shop ? or can it be both ?

In England anyway it is always run for a cause say like age concern.

then you have y.m.c.a

the British heart foundation

the blue cross

acorn

and the hospice one's

St Mary's hospice comes to mind.

but there are others who do great things

so I suppose there is a deference ?

so then where does a thrift store fit in ?

is there other's I wonder ? that mean completely different things I can't think of any off top of my head can you ?

itmy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

I always figured a thrift store was like a second hand shop, like those Exchange & Marts I liked so much when I lived in Bournemouth.

I did then we had that thread about the jcl found in a what they called it a thrift store but it was for a charity if I read it right ?

other's are like if I would say teashop that is very English or tearoom or say a cafe or grease spoon would a none English person know what they where ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Here in the US a thrift shop is a second hand store. Most often it's run by a charity organization and receives donations, but not always.

5. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    What do we call non-charity run junk shops in the UK now? Don't really see them very much any more, guess classifieds and then Gumtree etc have taken over

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    What do we call non-charity run junk shops in the UK now? Don't really see them very much any more, guess classifieds and then Gumtree etc have taken over
    second hand shops I suppose or for that matter junk shops I think maybe but as you say the knick-knack shops have gone now the way of the bay and as you say classifieds

use to love the old car booters but they don't seem to be as many as they use to be
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

A little off topic but I wonder if the likes or Argos will last much longer.

Those old junk shops use to be great, particularly good for musical equipment. I use to visit a great second hand record shop in Bournemouth, Recorlections it was called..hours spent routing out singles and an odd pink floyd album

9. Likes is that my watch, OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    A little off topic but I wonder if the likes or Argos will last much longer.

Those old junk shops use to be great, particularly good for musical equipment. I use to visit a great second hand record shop in Bournemouth, Recorlections it was called..hours spent routing out singles and an odd pink floyd album
    possible as Argos is on-line now but I can see it closing it's shop's down at sometime and going on-line only little woods closed down which was Argos competition and now is back doing on-line only think it will be the way of the future but with great job loses to follow it

yeah use to love browsing around old records /comic stores and the like on a wet Saturday morning I can remember it well lol in me army boots and great coat days haha there use to be one selling army surplus that I used to buy a lot of my clothes from when I was a teenager haha and they use to sell old books as well I always thought it was an odd combination
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

11. Likes pepperami liked this post
    In New England, we have a chain called New England Comics that sells a lot of geeky things, including vinyls.

Pretty swell.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    In New England, we have a chain called New England Comics that sells a lot of geeky things, including vinyls.

Pretty swell.
    sounds cool there was a second hand comic place in town a few years back that you could get all the d,c comics and was it marvel. got some great ones but it closed and became a Tesco express
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy