Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5513 matte dial arrived this weekend

5513 matte dial arrived this weekend

This weekend delivered the 1978 5513 matte dial that I was in the right place at the right time last week. Quick review: it's freaking amazing.

NOTE: I have trouble photographing the patina and having it come out the way it is in real life. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do it with an iPhone please let me know. Patina is actually perfect just starting to turn from white but not yellow.

More about the watch later but for now a few unboxing shots:

Gracie is just as eager to open it up as I am:

First thing I see is a note from the seller that pretty much wraps up his frame of mind:

Too big for Gracie

But Perfect for me:

Crisp edges and deep lug holes means it's has been well preserved:

LOVE the dome:

Faded Bezel and perfectly matched lame plots and hands:

'85 DJ is happy to meet the '78 Sub:

Very nice. I wish Rolex still went in for those chamfered edges.

3. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Thanks, Gary. I have 4 watches in the collection now and 3 1/2 are vintage, one modern (214270) The 1/2 is a 6309 (vintage) that is modded (modern)

Very nice Mike, I love that dome too!
    Are they pointed crown guards? Can't quite tell from the pic.
    It looks terrific on.

Blog Entries
    My 40 year Submariner chase is hopefully nearing it's end, Mike. And, with any luck, I'll have something like yours on my wrist one day soon. The Subs from 1977 to 1982 are, for me, their finest hour. Yours is a prime example. Huge congrats on a classic, classic, classic watch! Enjoy.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

7. Likes rockmastermike liked this post
    Don't know about the rest of you, but the patina looks pretty good and true-to-life in these pics. Beautiful watch (and cat), congrats!

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Stunning watch. Just stunning. One day I hope I can get something similar - a birth year Submariner would be fantastic...

Everything fits exactly the way it should for an amazing watch: design, proportions, dial...great piece!

Lovely watch. Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by rusty427 View Post
    Very nice Mike, I love that dome too!
    Are they pointed crown guards? Can't quite tell from the pic.
    It looks terrific on.
    Thanks, rusty - no pointed CG on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    My 40 year Submariner chase is hopefully nearing it's end, Mike. And, with any luck, I'll have something like yours on my wrist one day soon. The Subs from 1977 to 1982 are, for me, their finest hour. Yours is a prime example. Huge congrats on a classic, classic, classic watch! Enjoy.
    Very much appreciate your words, Teeritz especially coming from you it means alot

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Don't know about the rest of you, but the patina looks pretty good and true-to-life in these pics. Beautiful watch (and cat), congrats!

~Sherry.
    Thanks, Sherry, I got lucky on a few and am learning as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by thewalrus View Post
    Stunning watch. Just stunning. One day I hope I can get something similar - a birth year Submariner would be fantastic...
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Everything fits exactly the way it should for an amazing watch: design, proportions, dial...great piece!
    Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    Lovely watch. Congratulations
    Walrus, CFR and CamB - Thank you very much!

13. Likes Drster liked this post