Likes Likes:  40
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which movements display the most movement when looked at through a display back?

Which movements display the most movement when looked at through a display back?

Some movements are very pretty, but seem to be keeping their secrets well hidden:

Others give more glimpses of what's going on:

Which *non-chronograph* movements are the most intriguing to look at, in mechanical terms?
    Last edited by Der Amf; Apr 1, 2015 at 09:11 AM.

2. Likes tempocalypse, MHe225 liked this post
    Zenith Elite is pretty good (although not as interesting as the El Primero - but thats a chrono)

Name:  ml_image.2386193.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  150.7 KB

4. Likes Bidle, Nokie, MHe225 liked this post
    Oef,,,,... there are so manny nice movements out there. Also the design of the movement depends a bit on where it is made and the purpose (how they want it to look). German movements (Saxony) in general have a three quarter plate. So best to look at some swiss vintage movements with manny bridges.

Personally I always like to look at movements in, more or less, two ways; 1. The construction/design and 2. The finish of the movement.

Here a movement which 'hides' nothing a skeleton from Piaget. One of the few I actually like:

and the other side:

Than a few from my collection and I only took handwinders and of course no chrono's (except the 317 which doesn't have the typical chrono lay-out)!

Bifora 120 Chronometer steel 06 by Bidle, on Flickr

Girard Perregaux cal GP03 04 by Bidle, on Flickr

Gruen Airflight 05 by Bidle, on Flickr

IWC 89 RG 15 by Bidle, on Flickr

Not mine, but such a nice small movement.

IWC kal41 05 by Bidle, on Flickr

Longines big vintage 10.jpg by Bidle, on Flickr

Minerva Pythagore 2000 RG 07 by Bidle, on Flickr

Minerva Pythagore Grande Applique 04 by Bidle, on Flickr

Omega Trésor 1949 265 30T3PC 08a by Bidle, on Flickr

Panerai 317K Black Knight 10 by Bidle, on Flickr

Rogers Supreme Chezard 116 03.jpg by Bidle, on Flickr

Union Julius Bergter Kleine Sekunde 09 by Bidle, on Flickr

Vulcain Cricket vintage 06.jpg by Bidle, on Flickr

Zenith Chronometre 135 1955 10 by Bidle, on Flickr

But really there are so manny nice movements out there. Most of them are not even known by the 'big' public.

6. Likes FuzzyB, Nokie, MHe225 liked this post
    i'll say a 6497 cause it's the only hand wind mechanical i own but for autos i like the sw200 with its usual black rotor.

8. Likes Bidle, MHe225 liked this post
    here is the movement of my Titus :

Name:  729_007_zps4d089582.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  93.6 KB
    one of my Longines' :

Name:  $_57 (3).jpg
Views: 201
Size:  42.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. Likes Nokie, MHe225 liked this post
    I think they did a great job on the Chronoswiss Opus which I came close to purchasing a few times. Sorry no pics from my device. I'm sure you guys seen it before. Very interesting piece.

Think these two are the best so far for giving one cogs and wheels to gawp at:

Name:  m m 1.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  m m 2.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  81.1 KB

I love this one.

Hamilton 4992B in a Athaya Vintage case.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

14. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    The subsecond movements modified for central seconds typically have the most cogs and wheels on display because they have some extra parts added on to the back of the movement. See Bidle's picture titled Minerva Pythagore 2000 RG 07 for a great example of the extra wheel and bridge tossed in.

My favorite example of a time only watch that puts all of its interesting bits on display is the RGM 801 series. Since it is based on old pocket watch movement designs, they do a great job of exposing a lot of the bits in a similar manner.

And a cased shot.

16. Likes Der Amf, tempocalypse, MHe225 liked this post
    Probably not what you were thinking.