Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebel-fest!

Ebel-fest!

Last week I had the good fortune to meet Rick Denney. Rick was travelling to Boston on business and was kind enough to bring several of his watches. We met for a very enjoyable dinner and to share our appreciation of fine watches, particularly Ebels.

First, the Ebels
    top row L-R, Rick's Tekton Cal 137; Rory's 1911 Senior Cal 331 (Girard Perregaux movement); Rick's stunning 1911 Cal 120 Chronometer
    middle, Rory's 1950's-60's Cal 119 (A. Schild movement)
    bottom row L-R, Rick's 1911 Senior Cal 080 (Lemania movement); Rory's Sport Classic Cal 134 (El primero movement); Rory's 1911 Cal 080 (Lemania movement); Rory's 1911 BTR GMT Cal 240; Rick's BTR Cal 139 skeleton dial

Second, the men - Rick on the right, Rory on the left
    Last edited by WWII70; Apr 1, 2015 at 01:35 PM.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Always liked those BTRs!

Very nice and rare.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Pleased you too met up! Two bigger ebellans I cannot imagine. How/why did you both get into the brand?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Jacob Wirth???
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    Jacob Wirth???
    But of course. It was trivia night, which somehow seemed appropriate.

We had a long conversation and a lot of fun. My schedule that week was really tight and I'm glad we were able to make it work.

Rick "who had the Wiener schnitzel" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Pleased you too met up! Two bigger ebellans I cannot imagine. How/why did you both get into the brand?
    For me it was happenstance. My wife and I wandered into a Movado store and bought each other Christmas Ebels. I then researched the brand, and soon after could be found in a fetal position on the floor, surrounded by watch boxes.

Rick "noting that Rory showed more diligence in his pursuit" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    But of course. It was trivia night, which somehow seemed appropriate.

We had a long conversation and a lot of fun. My schedule that week was really tight and I'm glad we were able to make it work.

Rick "who had the Wiener schnitzel" Denney
    Small plate, or classic? I would have pegged you as a Jake's Special kind of guy.

Nice spread of Ebel's - you've given me something to aspire to.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Ebel-fest!

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    Small plate, or classic? I would have pegged you as a Jake's Special kind of guy.

Nice spread of Ebel's - you've given me something to aspire to.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427938561.543665.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  69.0 KB

Rick "who took only four Ebels to Boston" Denney

10. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    For both of us it was the look and quality of the brand foremost, coupled with the outstanding prices over the last 2-3 years. I love a bargain!

To expand on my reasons around "look and quality"
    1 Most Ebels have a consistent, characteristic look - case shape with a slight bulge at 9 o'clock, smooth brushed edges, prominent bezel (often highly polished) held down by the 5 screws.
    2 Butter-soft scallop link bracelets are supremely comfortable. They just nailed bracelet design early.
    3 In-house movements, Cal 137 and derivatives (139, 240, 245, 288)
    4 Interesting history full of ups and downs, leading to the current blow out of men's autos by Movado
    5 Movado's sales people and service support are fantastic. I have sent several pieces in for service under warranty and they have come back quickly with no hassle. I guess I am a "super-user" as the service center people know me by name.

I found the brand during my watch-hunting early days which involved a lot of late nights looking at GM dealers and Amazon online. I spotted the Classic wave chrono which I bought on looks alone (it was a great deal too).
    Attachment 15622
    This led me to research the brand, to WUS and to Rick's great reviews of his collection. A nearby Movado Company Store with frequent wicked sales facilitated my purchases and the after-sales support made these NOS pieces risk free.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme