Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of flipping my Speedmaster for a Speedmaster... am I mad?

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    By the way, if mismatched patina on hands and markers bothers you, don't start collecting military watches! The MoD watch repairers weren't as concerned with patina as we are.

I won't.

Anyway, that Hamilton looks really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    Thanks gents, all good points. I forgot to add that I do have an 1171 bracelet which I've tried on this watch, but for my tastes it's a bit too flimsy and rattly. Reminds me of the stock bracelet on a Seiko 5 honestly. Hence the focus on the 1498/1499.

Also good points about matching patina - however, I wonder if this is somewhat less important on the Speedmaster, whose white-painted hands with very thin lume strips will provide less opportunity to actually notice any such mismatch.
    the 1171 is a light bracelet no doubt but if originality is not a problem with you go for it - maybe i am old school -as C has pointed out you would become aware of a difference and it would annoy -as for collecting issued watches i make a point of not purchasing those that have been messed with-

Name:  IMG_3482.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  169.3 KB
    Omega Speedmaster Ed White

Omega PO Chrono 45
    Rolex DSSD
    Seiko Pogue gold
    Deep Blue diver
    Zodiac oceanaire
    many Citizen and Seiko from the years.

4. Likes shameless liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by timekeeper View Post
    Name:  IMG_3482.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  169.3 KB
    love it !!!!

I did the same and am very happy with my Speedmaster. Liked my Seamaster too, but the Speedy is more versatile and comfortable, IMHO.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

I wanted an 861 powered Speedy a few years back, primarily for birthyear purposes for my oldest, and found there were two types (as always) - watches that had been serviced with assorted replacement parts (dials and/or hands and or casebacks) and all original watches that were much more coveted by the owners than I was willing to pay. In the end I have kept my 3570 and - maybe it's just my imagination but - I think I can see the earliest changes beginning on the lume and dial. Even if it's just my imagination I know every nick on it and we've bonded over the last 8 years.

8. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    An update... I've done it!

First, here's a photo of my previous 3570, now being enjoyed by its happy new owner:

I did well on the sale of the 3570, so I could afford to have my pick of a replacement Speedmaster. I chose this late-90's example, whose tritium has all gone a lovely yellowish shade:

This new (to me) Speedmaster includes the 1498 bracelet that started me down this path in the first place. So far, I'm finding that's more comfortable and balanced on the wrist than the more modern 1998 bracelet I had on the previous watch.

However, this isn't a 3570... it's a 3572! Hesalite crystal with sapphire display back and rhodium-plated movement. All the eye candy of a "sapphire sandwich", but retaining the classic acrylic over the dial. Of course I am very fond of the classic Moonwatch caseback that features the sea monster and the famous phrase, but now I'm loving this view instead:

Sorry about the blur - it seems I need to invest in a good macro lens.

So there you have it - out with the new, in with the old. It may not be for everyone, but I'm quite happy! And in the end, my net out of pocket expense was less than it would have cost me to simply purchase a new-old bracelet for my old-new watch. I'm prepared to call that a good day's work.
    Last edited by workahol; May 2, 2015 at 02:16 AM.

10. Likes Samanator, Teeritz, traf liked this post
    Bold move - and a successful one!

Congratulations.

Here we are, a better photo of the back of the new arrival:

13. Likes Der Amf, Samanator, traf liked this post
    ^^^I can see why you like being able to see that