Likes Likes:  37

Thread: SOTC The road to WIS epiphany and what happened afterwards

Threaded View

SOTC The road to WIS epiphany and what happened afterwards

With a bit of prompting from geoffbot, I thought it would be a good idea to do my first SOTC post, partly just to share some pictures of my collection with the good folks of this forum, and partly to gather my thoughts on where everything is at and figure out the way forward.

edit: HAH! I hit forum character limit. Have to split this lol.
    edit: Also apologies to anyone coming in unwarned and faced with like 50 pictures loading!

I’ll also try to organise some thoughts on my current wish-list towards the end and of course welcome any thoughts and suggestions from members here.

Below is a snapshot of the entire collection (minus a B&M Capeland out for service)

From left to right

Breitling Navitimer
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chronograph
    NOMOS Glashütte Zurich Weltzeit
    Glashütte Original Panograph
    Rolex Submariner 5513
    Azimuth Mr. Roboto
    Lemania Chronograph
    Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow 1957 re-edition
    Sinn 356 II Fleiger Copper
    Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Squellete Tradition
    Casio G-Shock DW5600
    (out for service) Baume & Mercier Capeland Chronograph

The road so far

I have always been into watches as far as I can remember; my first watch was an airline gift for kids which the crew gave me on a flight to London back when I was about six years old, a short stubby little Singapore airlines 747 shaped case on a rubber strap with a pullout nose hiding a digital display.

It was in my late teens that I began to get interested in mechanical watches and I got to choose one for my 18th birthday. That watch was the Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chronograph you see above. Then when I graduated from University I got to choose one more watch as well and this was the Breitling you see above. I was quite happy with both of these watches for quite a while. A few years after my first job, I bought my first watch with my own money, the ML Squelette. The Capeland followed soon.

Still at this point, I hadn’t descended into full on WISdom. I was largely ignorant of the histories of the brands beyond that which you find on their websites and didn’t know all that much about movements or all the other things that we obsess about on these forums. A few years passed without buying watches and all was well…

However, a few years back I discovered resources such as Hodinkee and started lurking on forums at which point I started to pick up a real education on watches. This led to the discovery of Nomos and what I shall call the “WIS Epiphany Event” starting with the acquisition of the Zurich Weltzeit and everything else followed.

I’ll post a few pictures and some thoughts on each watch individually.

Rolex Submariner
    ref 5513
    circa 1968

This the watch that gets the most wrist time! I’ve had it for a year now and I just do not get tired of it. The faded bezel is the star feature appearing light grey in bright sunlight and various darker shades depending on lighting conditions. The lume on the dial and hands have developed a not quite yellow but noticeable creamy patina. It is incredibly versatile and dresses up (slightly) on the oyster bracelet and dresses down well with a number of vintage style leather straps including Natos. Theres not a huge amount to say here except that I absolutely love everything about this watch. If I were forced to choose a favourite… this might be the one.

Glashütte Original Panograph

My comments on the submariner might seem an insult to this far more expensive watch! The Panograph is however up there amongst my favourites and well it should. Wearing the Panograph feels like an occasion every time I strap it on and that movement is one of the most attractive looking out there.

Some background on this watch though, my dream high end chronograph remains the A Lange & Sohne Datograph (1st version) in Platinum. When I bought the Panograph last year, members on another forum where I discussed it suggested that I might regret the purchase as I would always want the Datograph.

So nearly one year on how do I feel? I can honestly say that I don’t regret it. I wanted to splurge on something special to celebrate a significant year for me both personally and professionally and the Panograph was within reach ( a decent discount plus european VAT refund helped a lot!) whilst a second hand 1st gen Datograph was substantially more. The Panograph has satiated my desire for a mega chronograph. I would still like a Datograph one day but I am willing to wait a few more years and am more keen to add a couple more vintage Rolexes and such before spending such a large amount on a single watch again.

One key thing about the Panograph is that it also fulfilled my want for a gold dress watch. Whilst its no Calatrava, its unique dial arrangement hides the complexity and sportiness of a sub dial chronograph layout and is quite elegant and formal looking.

I will actually post a full review in the high end sub forum soon with lots of pictures.

NOMOS Zurich Weltzeit.

My first watch from an independent and with an in house movement, the Zurich Weltzeit. Its been a couple of years and the Nomos is a regular fixture on my wrist. Its a great dual time zone watch and a great travel companion (I like that the local time is on the main dial unlike some more expensive dual time watches like ALS Time Zone or the JLC Master Geographic). The layered dial is a thing of beauty and the layout is complex without seeming cluttered. Understated and elegant it also works as a dress watch.

The movement too is very attractive. I especially like the contrasting finish, Nomos uses what they call a black gold finish on the main plates which has an interesting dark grey tone which contrasts with the bright rhodium plated rotor.

Omega Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow re-edition

This is the 1999 reissue of the very first speedmaster, the original broad arrow (quite faithful except for a larger 42mm case, the modern 1861 movement and luminova). Something of an impulse purchase, I got a great deal on this due to recent Euro depreciation and I’ve had it nearly a month. Every Chronograph fan needs a speedy and I was planning on getting a regular Speedy pro this year. However the broad arrow with its brushed bezel and on a leather nato had an irresistible vintage look to it. A think I still need a speedy pro at some point but I should put it on the long term list and probably look for a vintage caliber 321 pre moon instead of a 3570. Little annoyed that this one was the strap version (came with a black croc and deployant) but even more than the Rolex I think I like the broad arrow on a leather Nato.

Lemania Chronograph

Dating back to 1948 this 36mm own brand Lemania chronograph uses the legendary caliber 2310 (patek base for some perpetual calendars, Omega 321 moon watch) which is still going strong today in several high end watches. The dial has been re done but done well and an interesting buy for a few hundred dollars. The movement is likely surplus from a batch made for Ebel which Lemania then cased themselves. An interesting piece of horological history. Don’t wear it much as the 18mm strap I bought for it doesn’t quite work for me. I need to get a new one. It also might need a service as the chrono minute counter sometimes resets to + or - 1 minute instead of to zero. I think its a keeper even if it doesn’t get a lot of wrist time.

Azimuth Mr. Roboto

Mr Roboto is a nerdy, crazy weird object. I only wear it occasionally but I do love it. It brings a smile to my face and has a very well made and interestingly detailed case. Legibility is not its strong suit though. Its place in the collection is not 100% guaranteed in the long term but for now I’m certainly not tired of it. The original strap seen here was very thick, stiff and difficult to tighten, and even harder to take off. Got a thinner black strap for it as seen on the group pic.

Last edited by tempocalypse; Apr 12, 2015 at 11:48 AM.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse