Likes Likes:  17,401
Page 560 of 1338 FirstFirst ... 604605105505585595605615625706106601060 ... LastLast
Results 5,591 to 5,600 of 13372

Thread: Random watch thread 2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    so for an auto at £235 plus post does not look bad at all bit pricey for me at the minute but well worth the look .....

SMITHS NATO Watch PRS-40 AUTOMATIC

https://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs40auto.htm
    Interesting and very tempting! Glad to see Eddie using a 6r15, instead of the 4r35. But then I look at the size specification and see it's almost 55mm long. Yikes! That would actually overhang my wrist. I see why, with the crown coming out at the top, but I would be knocking that thing against every doorknob in my path.
    Last edited by skywatch; Feb 22, 2020 at 04:39 PM.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    Is it just me or do those D Candaux look like a person wearing a gas mask?
    Now I can't unsee that.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

3. Likes synequano liked this post
    so you may have heard me talk of having wanted to get a prs-40 well they was discontinued with a promise from eddy to one day he would do some more ..if honest I thought them a bit much new ( in general they probably was not ) but for a whim buy when it was like a marmite buy you know I would love it or hate it so thought if I saw a decent priced second hand one I would get it still waiting on that thou

well he sorta has put them out again but with a fresh twist it's a mech now

so for an auto at £235 plus post does not look bad at all bit pricey for me at the minute but well worth the look .....

Unusual, but interesting design. Out of curiosity, I believe the guy who designed the original model (quartz) for Timefactors is in the team who started Unimatic watches.

Given the case design and the choice of movement, the price seems pretty reasonable.
    Last edited by CFR; Feb 22, 2020 at 08:00 PM.

SMITHS NATO Watch PRS-40 AUTOMATIC

https://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs40auto.htm
    I've pondered that one and the previous version on more than one occasion, and I always come away feeling the same way - Uncertain: Will I like it ? Will it sit on my wrist correctly ? Will I ever get used to a nato ? etc..

I can't help but think they've taken a step in the wrong direction with the fitting of a mechanical movement. ... not least because of the added dimensions.
    A couple of mm extra on the lug-to-lug... which wasn't 'short' to begin with, shouldn't be too much of a problem; BUT...
    ... a 50% (ish) increase in the thickness, kind of kills one of its main appeals, for me. First version was 8½mm, this new one is over 12mm ... and by the time it's sat on top of a couple of layers of nato, it's going to be pushing 15mm.

Flat sapphire only works for me if it has AR coating on both sides.
    I liked the idea of a grab-n-go, slim, kwirky, 'knockabout' watch with a quartz movement; but the addition/replacement of/for a mechanical movement has kind of taken away from its functionality (at least what was in my mind) & 'knockability'. Yes, I know, any mechanical movement worth its salt can take a few knocks; but quartz can usually take a whole lot more.

Just my thoughts.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Unusual, but interesting design. Out of curiosity, I believe the guy who designed the original model (quartz) for Timefactors is in the team who started Unimatic watches.

Back in WUS days, the designer made an approach to Ernie Romers, hoping that he would sell this watch as a WUS special. Ernie ran it past the moderators, who were mostly comprised of the owners of this forum, and our collective response was along the lines of: “Forget it. No-one will want one.” Within about a year, it popped up as new Timefactors model. Eddie Platts asked for some mild modifications and saw it as a kind of modernist G10. It still looks like an answer to an unasked question to me.

7. Likes crownpuller, CFR, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    It still looks like an answer to an unasked question to me.
    I have to agree, and I think that's where I'm 'stuck' with it.... where does it 'belong' ? The 'knockabout' watch in my mind may just be my looking for an answer to that very (un-asked) question.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    I have to agree, and I think that's where I'm 'stuck' with it.... where does it 'belong' ? The 'knockabout' watch in my mind may just be my looking for an answer to that very (un-asked) question.
    yeah the quartz was a fun and freaky friday watch and sizing was just ok so yeah think I would for the right price.... the new one not so much but I can see it doing well for those who wanted a mech version so be fun to see how it sells
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Interesting and very tempting! Glad to see Eddie using a 6r15, instead of the 4r35. But then I look at the size specification and see it's almost 55mm long. Yikes! That would actually overhang my wrist. I see why, with the crown coming out at the top, but I would be knocking that thing against every doorknob in my path.
    yeah good points and bad think I like the out the box design even if a little impractical like the idea more then the actual watch
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

11. Likes skywatch, CFR, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post

Given the case design and the choice of movement, the price seems pretty reasonable.
    that I did not know
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

yeah good points and bad think I like the out the box design even if a little impractical like the idea more then the actual watch
    My feelings exactly.