Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dinner at The French Laundry

That looks like my kind of meal out. As discussed previously, I am glad the French Laundry did the right thing regarding your waiter.

I can see how the turbot might not have worked. I am fine with fruit and savoury dishes but I have never been fully convinced of the notion that all fruit goes with fish of some kind or another. I do like grapefruit and I have made more than a few pairings that you would consider odd, but I am not sure about mild white fish and grapefruit.

The year we had to cancel our trip to California French Laundry was on our list of things to do.

I did in fact dine at Alinea and that was the most expensive meal I have ever had. I can heartily recommend it. The year we went was the year Achatz got his third star. From the looks of the French Laundry meal the first difference you will note at Alinea is how playful it is. Here's a pic of me going in on the hands free course. The food is mounted on a springy wire thingy...

Name:  308182_10150396869532355_1851824821_n.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  41.1 KB

This was the caviar, squash blossom and nasturtium amuse bouche.

Name:  317136_10150396868482355_1854751919_n.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  31.9 KB

I think I've mentioned before that it was worth every penny but in my opinion the best high end meal I ever ate was elsewhere. That was at Lumiere in Vancouver. Feeny never got a Michelin star. I think hedidn't simply because he was such a great , but understated chef. His gift was using simple preparations to bring out the absolute best in from the absolute best ingredients available. He was the epitome of that Vancouver/ west coast Japan meets France cooking style.

Alinea, on the other hand, was delicious and just mountains of fun.

Did I tell you I got Achatz' cookbook while there?
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Jan 9, 2019 at 07:57 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

2. Likes Raza, FuzzyB liked this post
    The food does look amazing, and it sucks that you had to have that kind of experience to ruin it. Not sure it's up my alley even if I could afford it, but I can appreciate the thought and effort that goes into it.

4. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    That's a shame to hear the experience was marred by bad service. It's a shame when service can affect a meal and I do have some sympathy for the staff because who knows what the last customer they waited on was like to them. At least the restaurant made an effort to make things right. Hopefully the next visit will fully live up to expectations.
    It wasn’t that kind of service problem. The waiter clearly had issue with whom he was serving, since he was happy to wait on everyone else.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    It wasn’t that kind of service problem. The waiter clearly had issue with whom he was serving, since he was happy to wait on everyone else.
    Even worse. There is simply no excuse for that. The waiter clearly chose the wrong profession if he can't treat everyone equally. I'm sorry you had such an experience.

7. Likes Raza, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Even worse. There is simply no excuse for that. The waiter clearly chose the wrong profession if he can't treat everyone equally. I'm sorry you had such an experience.
    Thank you. Yeah, it's a bummer, but it's a thing that happens. You get mad about it for a little while, then you move on. Like I said, they are doing everything they can to make it right, so I am happy with their effort.

9. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Lol @ waiters who look down on you for any reason, but especially when when you choose the house wine etc. 'dude - you're on minimum wage - you couldn't even afford a starter here!' Big love to all the nice waiters - you get a good tip.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Lol @ waiters who look down on you for any reason, but especially when when you choose the house wine etc. 'dude - you're on minimum wage - you couldn't even afford a starter here!' Big love to all the nice waiters - you get a good tip.
    I'm not convinced the incident was brought about by the actions of one individual. A waiter/waitress employed by a four star establishment does not, IMO, act as described by the OP without provocation. Just spitballing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jato View Post
    I'm not convinced the incident was brought about by the actions of one individual. A waiter/waitress employed by a four star establishment does not, IMO, act as described by the OP without provocation. Just spitballing.
    I promise you, it was not provoked. The waiter started acting the way he did as soon as he came to our table while we were nothing but nice and pleasant to him. My family and I are nothing but nice to wait staff, whatever you may think of me. And we’re good tippers (not that there’s any tipping at the French Laundry, it’s included and all prepaid). Unless you count being a minority as provocation.

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear there were problems with the waiter. That is inexcusable. It drives good chefs crazy too, because the front of house can do stupid things that make the best food in the world look bad. The experience has to be seamless. It's a performance.

I have been blessed to have a few meals like the one you show, and I may have had enough of those to please me for a while.

There was a period of time during the last decade where I was getting heavily involved in the fine dining world. I was writing restaurant reviews for the group of local weekly papers, and became friends with a few excellent chefs. Another friend of ours is an investor in Manresa, where we have eaten three times (it is exquisite and unstuffy), and I have traded some of our back-yard produce and wild mushrooms I forage to chefs at Chez TJ (a local 2-star place that has created a few great chefs.) After meal like these, I just don't feel very good any more. My body doesn't know where to put the calories, I guess.

Hopefully a racist waiter will never again spoil one of your special celebrations.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

14. Likes Raza, OhDark30, meijlinder liked this post