Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **** Quick thought - Can a G10 be a G10 if ****

**** Quick thought - Can a G10 be a G10 if ****

Was looking at military watches chronograph have wanted both pulsar and seiko versions as well as the cwc but military issued.. so can a g10 be call a g10 if civilian model ? ?

I would have thought not but on the bay seems they do ..whats our take on this ?
    Last edited by is that my watch; Jan 15, 2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Strictly speaking, G10 is a piece of paper rather than a watch, and it’s actually a G1098, not a G10. G1098 is the ‘Army Unit Equipment Table’, so a watch could be drawn from the 1098 stores (as could other items, of course). These codes only apply to the Army, not the Navy or Air Force.

And the watch we know as a G10 is a W10.

But anyway, the watches have come to be known as G10s (as have their straps). Within this use of the term, the watch should be a basic watch stocked by the army, or approved to be stocked by the army.

The term is widely misused on eBay because it results in search hits.

yes that was my take sorta knew the W10/G10 was forms but just wonder what members thought of them as with Russian say 3133 both civilian and military are sorta all classed as one for the most part

but take the one from the op pic I do believe are they not, that they are the same except for military markings ? or is there more differences then I remember ?

plus even thou we know what is what how would we call them still ? if not g10 then what ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

I wouldn’t call the Pulsar a G10 because: 1) it’s a chronograph; 2) it’s an RAF watch. I would call it an RAF chronograph.

I think the issued Pulsar had a Luminova ‘L’ under the text.

so pulsar chronograph

so what code was used for mil chrono's then ? and thought I saw raf g10's ?
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    so pulsar chronograph

so what code was used for mil chrono's then ? and thought I saw raf g10's ?

By the time of the Pulsars we’re into NSNs (NATO stock numbers), so the designation would be 6B or 6BB followed by other numbers.

People talk about RAF G10s because they’re basically the same as the army G10s. But G10 means nothing to the RAF, who presumably call them W10s.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    By the time of the Pulsars we’re into NSNs (NATO stock numbers), so the designation would be 6B or 6BB followed by other numbers.

People talk about RAF G10s because they’re basically the same as the army G10s. But G10 means nothing to the RAF, who presumably call them W10s.
    so suppose that would apply to the ones I see that say navy too then ?
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    so suppose that would apply to the ones I see that say navy too then ?

Yup. G10 has become vague and generic. It doesn’t much matter though, as long as people aren’t trying to pass off civilian as military, or non-issued as issued.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Yup. G10 has become vague and generic. It doesn’t much matter though, as long as people aren’t trying to pass off civilian as military, or non-issued as issued.
    well last two I look at did that as do a lot some I think is ignorance which is bad enough, but some know it thou and still says it is when not

special with the seiko and pulsar chronos get very confusing on which is which gives me a head ache some times
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Isn't the modern GS code 6bb RAF 555 army and 552 navy? I'm always a bit confused by the modern stuff.