Likes Likes:  4

Thread: **** Saytoko Direct Time Mid 70's ****

**** Saytoko Direct Time Mid 70's ****

As Direct Time watches go, this is VERY nice and very heavy Saytoko "Grand Luxe" anti magnetic, Big and chunky TV shaped case both brushed and polished, metallic blue dial showing hours and minutes, also a date window. To mark the seconds there's a "helicopter" hand in the middle of the watch.which is so dam cool haha it measures.
    Size 37x40x13mm Deep

Well I'm no watch repair guy but I like to tinker with them and a friends jump hour had stopped working and ask if I would take a look.

There is a rumour going around about jump hours that they are not worth the time or money to fix.I was in that camp have had two one is no longer with us but I only paid £6 for it so it did not owe me anything and I also have a Chateu one that is a bit problematic as it works when the mood takes it.

But got it at such a decent price I will get round to seeing what to be done to sort that later at some point. so this rumour right I thought for the price you see them at it was like just when it goes bin and replace well I don't bin they go to spare parts lol.

any way back to saytoko when it got unwrapped I was like wow now this is something special it's clean I would like to think the lad has the original bracelet somewhere safe and just sent the head to keep the weight down lol so as I was saying it's clean in this I mean relative clean of scratches dinks and the like. the crystal is in remarkable good condition for some thing that is some where around 40 years old heavy and cool helicopter second hand date window the lot. the two I have had just had the hour and minute disc .

problem is can't get the back off as it is a hex lock on it and ant got the right one so.looking at it someone else had the same problem as there are a couple of very minor marks on it near one of the points nothing that detracts from the overall beauty as it is expected in one of this age.

So how to go about fixing a watch that looks and feel to be over wound with out opening it well yes had me stumped for a while till I remember a trick I read about (lol not telling mine haha )

And now it has been running none stop from about 12pm last night till now as I'm typing the helicopter hands is spinning and saying 10:14 so I can gather it has run about 10.2 hours roughly continuously so that is always a good start.

so think I will leave well enough a lone let it run down then give it a half turn or two to see if it working again and advise the lad to go easy on winding for a while as I would think that over winding could cause the hair spring to stretch and so if not careful you could over winded with out realizing and it could jam again .. I think in this instant I would find a watch-smith that can do jump hours to give it a service I think it would be worth every penny on this particular jump hour any way

ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes OhDark30, Der Amf, The Watch Smeller liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Very nice! I look forward to seeing more once it is repaired.

Thanks!

Dan

4. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    well plus 17 hours and still going so fingers crossed just got to wait till it runs down and we will see what happens when I come to winded it up think I will be a chicken and only crank it a couple of time and then let it run down again.

Am concerned that the hair spring has been stretched had it with the rulha managed to get it to unwind then wound and let it run down then when I full wound it it jammed again but I think that maybe that time I had not made sure it had fully unwound so here's hoping and that and baby steps patience is the key here
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

well it ran for all most 24 hours.. ran out last night about half eleven well gave it a couple of three winded and it did not want to know gave it as a friend would say a technical tap ( banged it against my palm a couple of time) this got it going well it stop at half five this morning.

So I was a little braver I gave it the three turns and the copter hand did not move was going to give it a tap but thought I would try and see if I could winded it any more so gave it another couple of turns and the little helicopter hand started to turn so we have some improvement if I can try and work out how many turns it takes to run for say 24 hours then if my mate keeps to just under that he should get away with it not to sure if this model was a 24 hour or 36 hour charge well it my friend is careful he can maybe work it out... so if it carry's on being good today think I will post it back to him tomorrow
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

bye bye saytoko last pic before it is being pack up and sent back

Name:  PICT0009.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  33.1 KB
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

That looks almost identical to the watch my parents gave me as a graduation present way back in 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    That looks almost identical to the watch my parents gave me as a graduation present way back in 1979.
    it has rekindle my love for the jump hour sadly it is back in the owner care now ticking happily well it's more of a clicking haha ... would be the right time period apparently it was from what I found out a mid 70's to late 70's one so could well be mate
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Very trick and it just screams "Retro".

Nice watch.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx