Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birth year + GMT = Happy ck1109

Birth year + GMT = Happy ck1109

Local AD had their semi-annual pre-owned Rolex sale and was able to pick up a pre-owned Explorer II 16570 for $4500+tax. It's in great condition as it was serviced by Rolex recently and includes a nice warranty from the AD.

During the service, Rolex replaced the dial and hands, refinished the case and replaced the bracelet for a new one.

I was on the fence initially due to the service dial, but ultimately pulled the trigger due to the serial #. The 78xxx makes it close to being a birth year watch for me and that was hard to resist. I had just posted about wanting a birth year GMT watch in the thread last wek, so this was a happy coincidence.
    I may try to source an original dial for it at some point in the future.

Now for some pics:

That's just PERFECT! BIG Congrats mate!!

3. Likes ck1109 liked this post
    I know the feeling. I plan to gift myself a birth year (1970) GMT Pepsi when I turn 50. Enjoy!

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    That's just PERFECT! BIG Congrats mate!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I know the feeling. I plan to gift myself a birth year (1970) GMT Pepsi when I turn 50. Enjoy!

-hayday
    Thanks guys!

One of the best choices available for that period. Congratulations!

Beautiful! A modern classic, for sure. Enjoy!

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    One of the best choices available for that period. Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Beautiful! A modern classic, for sure. Enjoy!

~Sherry.
    Thanks!

That Explorer is really, really nice, and it looks great on your wrist. Congratulations!

10. Likes ck1109 liked this post
    Looks great! Congrats!
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

12. Likes ck1109 liked this post
    Congratulations, that is a fantastic pick-up. And your lume-shot is super

Reading your description of the work done, you essentially got a brand new birth-year watch - hard to resist indeed. I will show my ignorance here: what's the difference between the service dial on your watch and an original? Is it something easily recognizable or is it "just because you know"?

Congrats again and do enjoy that watch for many years to come.
    IWL member 90

14. Likes ck1109 liked this post