Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A day in Amsterdam -- ideas?

A day in Amsterdam -- ideas?

So, it's not a proper trip but a long flight connection in late March. I'll probably be quite worn out from the travel already, but there's no way I'm spending 10 hours or so at the airport. Any ideas for where to go, what to see, and most importantly, where to dine? Any watch shops I shouldn't miss?

Bedankt.

Blog Entries
    Lots to do in Amsterdam, it can be overwhelming. I didn’t do a lot of fine dining while I was there, but the hotel where I stayed had a pretty nice restaurant. Art’otel. It’s across from the main train station in Amsterdam and near a couple of tram stops, so it’s easy to get to. There are also a fair few Argentine steakhouses in that area that are pretty good as well. I ate at the Flame Steakhouse, which is right around the corner from the Art’otel. And the Argentine place right across from it. I’m told the most authentic Amsterdam drinking experience is at The Grasshopper (there are at least two of them, one near the hotel and one closer to the Van Gogh museum, if I recall), but I can’t remember if they serve food or just Heineken.

Depending on on how long you’re going to be there and how much energy you have, you might want to check out the Rijksmuseum. Even if you don’t go inside, the grounds are beautiful. When I was there, the museum was closed on the day we designated to go to museums, so we just walked around the area and took it all in. The Van Gogh museum is pretty cool, and it’s pretty small, so it doesn’t take a ton of time to go in and do the audio tour. I forget the name of the square, but there’s an area right by Madame Tussauds that had tons of people and living statues and performers when I was there. Don’t know what it’ll be like in the winter though. I didn’t do any watch shopping while I was in Amsterdam, but there are a few vintage shops, an IWC boutique, and a Seiko boutique.

The tram is the easiest way to get around. It’s very convenient to the main areas and a day pass was pretty cheap. They also run often, I don’t remember waiting more than 10 minutes for one.

Amsterdam is a proper trip from the airport, though, so allot a good amount of time for that. I think it was 45 minutes to an hour by car.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

3. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Thanks, Raza.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    There are also a fair few Argentine steakhouses in that area that are pretty good as well. I ate at the Flame Steakhouse, which is right around the corner from the Art’otel. And the Argentine place right across from it.
    This will be my return trip right from Argentina.

5. Likes Raza liked this post

7. Likes rodia77, gnuyork liked this post
    And of course Schipol airport itself is a watch buyer’s destination for many.

There’s Gassan -

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/at-schiph...-and-jewellery

and the Rolex boutique is where hard-to-find models sometimes pop up - and are sold almost immediately.

9. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Have a nice relaxing massage at one of the many massage parlours. And a nice erm coffee at one of the coffee shops.

Then you'll be hungry - grab some fast food - they do amazing Belgian fries, there's 'wok to walk' where you choose your noodle type, meat, topping and sauce, and burger bar where you do the same with burgers. So good.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

11. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Amsterdam,you gotta visit the coffee shop,make sure you remember to return to the airport though....I walk through the red light district and was offered "ganja" several times

While you're there,try to eat local food or the indonesian food (there are plenty over there)

I went to Amsterdam just once before and back then I wasn't into watches...so I only knew the sneaker spot (patta) and the churches (yup,I like visiting churches while travelling)

13. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    Amsterdam,you gotta visit the coffee shop,make sure you remember to return to the airport though....I walk through the red light district and was offered "ganja" several times

While you're there,try to eat local food or the indonesian food (there are plenty over there)

I went to Amsterdam just once before and back then I wasn't into watches...so I only knew the sneaker spot (patta) and the churches (yup,I like visiting churches while travelling)
    Did you go to the church in the red light district? I think that's one of the historic ones in Amsterdam.

I like old churches too, but I never go inside; I'm half worried my skin will start to burn every time I go into a church, and I figure the older the church the more severe the burn.

15. Likes geoffbot, rodia77, synequano liked this post

A day in Amsterdam -- ideas?

I forgot,but (I think that) I went to the church near Patta,which happens to be managed by the Jesuits,and I think I went to one near the red light district

I'm no angel too,but if I got burned then probably I shouldn't visit Rome....there's church on every corner there,kinda like starbucks in NYC....
    Last edited by synequano; Feb 2, 2019 at 01:14 PM.

17. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    I forgot,but (I think that) I went to the church near Patta,which happens to be managed by the Jesuits,and I think I went to one near the red light district

I'm no angel too,but if I got burned then probably I shouldn't visit Rome....there's church on every corner there,kinda like starbucks in NYC....
    I do like a good Starbucks, though.