Likes Likes:  88
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guitar Thread....

The Guitar Thread....

Okay, so as I've indicated elsewhere, I have what most would perceive as too many guitars. They've recently multiplied even more here, as I have bought 4 this year (2 arrived in the last 2 weeks and another to show up this week).

I am mostly partial to Fender, mostly Stratocasters. But I also have some Gibsons and a handful of other brands. I play mostly blues, blues oriented rock, and classic rock.

So if you're into guitar, tell a bit about your collection, show a pic, discuss your favorite music genre or style of playing, influences, etc. etc.

Here's a pic of the rack of currently uncased 6 strings I have out. My 3 newest are among them.

Last edited by T Bone; Apr 7, 2015 at 12:21 AM.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

2. Likes gnuyork, mlcor, Raza, Samanator liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I'll dust off my fat Strat and take a picture of it one of these days. I have some others, including an acoustic Fender 12 string, but I need to sell them all and maybe just keep my Strat and jazz bass. Once I get back into playing, I would like to get a Telecaster.

Great thread T bone - you've seen my red strat, but I''l post it again:

Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1960

and my other baby:

1956 VOS Historic Les Paul

and my P bass:

1962/63 Custom Shop Pino Palladino Sig bass - with TI Flatwounds - sounds incredible.

group shot - posing with my 1960s gretsch round badge kit:

and also one I am building (snake head esquire):
    1 piece pine body, going to finish with a translucent blond with a shellac clear coat.

I also have a few other guitars, including a Fender 12 string acoustic, and a Seagull S6 Cedar acoustic that sounds really nice.

I had another strat (Jimmy Vaughan) and a Jazz bass that I sold. Wish I kept the J bass, and I miss the Strat too, but it never got played once I got the Time Machine.

5. Likes T Bone, mlcor, Raza, Samanator liked this post
    And I forgot, I have a knock off 56 gold top made by a Korean company called Dillion. It's a great guitar, in fact, almost a little better than the Gibson for playability, but definitely not sound. I've been meaning to sell it, but I even forget I have it...

I also have Jackson pointy head stock heavy metal looking thingy, too, from my long hair college days.

I forgot to mention, I am just a complete wanker on guitar and I definitely do not deserve any one of these guitars, but I too like Blues and classic rock, and rock and roll (as far as guitar playing). Jazz is my favorite music genre overall, but when it comes to guitar, I really like the blues and rock.

Beautiful stuff! Never did get a Custom Shop Strat. Was planning one back in the 90s just before the "lights went out" so to speak on my business and finances. At the time I had 4 Strats, one was a genuine slab board 62, the others were an American Standard, an American 57 Vintage Reissue and an SRV Signature model (oddly, never really bonded with that one, despite my adoration of SRV's music).

Sold all of those as well as a 57 Les Paul Jr. and a 67 Firebird. Kept only a Martin acoustic and a 1935 National Duolian, both of which I still have.

Was going to go gold sparkle finish for the Custom Shop Strat, probably why when they recently did the Vegas Gold special run of the Classic Player 60s Stratocaster, I had to have one (despite already having the same exact guitar in Faded Sonic Blue).

The current products from Fender are as good as they've ever been IMO, and that goes for both North and South of the border. I actually play my Mexican Fenders more than my American Fenders (at least at the moment). I feel they are generally equals. The Classic Player Series (of which I have several) are made in Mexico, but are designed in the US Custom Shop. They are special instruments, generally quite the bargain these days.

Wish I had an Historic Les Paul too. But you'd be surprised at about 1/4 to 1/6 the price, how close this Studio 50s Tribute is to your VOS (the differences ARE quite substantial of course, and that VOS is one of the finest Gibson makes, but the similarities are also quite substantial- for example, the pickups are the exact same ones on either guitar).

Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

8. Likes gnuyork, mlcor, Raza liked this post
    here's a little ditty I made just after getting the gold top... it totally sucks, but I still have fun.

It's sloppy, because I recored everything myself, drums last. The amp was a Clark Beaufort Special which is a 50s tweed deluxe clone with a alnico Weber, I recorded the rhythm with the neck pickup clean, and the leadish tone dirty through the bridge pick up. Staright, no FX. Bass was DI through my interface into a ampegish model, and the drums were two mics (overheads? can't remember) mixed mono.

Try not to laugh too hard, I said I was a wanker undeserving...

http://www.wiseheadproductions.com/f...mixed-mono.mp3

and another cheesy stratocaster ditty, I did all with Garage Band amp modeling and the cheesy programmed drum kit. Bass was my old j bass. (I feel like I'm a better bass player than guitar player - which isn't saying much )

http://www.wiseheadproductions.com/f...at-GB-blog.mp3
    Last edited by gnuyork; Apr 7, 2015 at 03:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    I should also say that I suck. I had at 4 guitars and a bass and only knew about 8 songs.

Man, I'm inspired. Tomorrow after class instead of playing FIFA, I'm going to plug my Strat into my PS3 again and get back on Rocksmith. Believe it or not, it really helped. I was getting good at some Black Keys.

11. Likes T Bone liked this post
    I have, err, a few myself...I played semi-professionally for many years, and come from a musical family. I bought one two years ago, it's the last I've bought, and I'm not really in the market any more, I have what I want. Don't have too many pictures in my iPad, but here's the most recent, made for me by the Gibson Custom Shop:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

13. Likes gnuyork, T Bone liked this post
    I cannot play but I LOVE buying guitars for my son. He has a Fender Strat and this Ibanez 12 string acoustic guitar.

Name:  AEL1512ETBS-2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  84.5 KB
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

15. Likes gnuyork, Raza liked this post
    Found some older photos of my J bass:

and posing with my friend's strat (one of his anyway -he has a lot more guitars than I):

and I found a pic of my Dillion next to the Gibson (twins)

17. Likes mlcor, Raza, T Bone liked this post