Likes Likes:  93
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 93EXCivic's State Of The Collection

93EXCivic's State Of The Collection

It has been a while since I posted anything related to watches largely due to biking taking over my fun spending and also due to being some what content with where my collection is at.

So I figured I would do a SOTC post to show my collection of affordable and vintage watches. This will be over a few post.

20190209_083630.jpg
    20190209_085836.jpg
    Here is the whole collection in some watch boxes I made (two out of cigar boxes and the other out of a Booker's whiskey box).
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

The Vostoks.

20190209_090353.jpg

Here are the four Amphibians that I own.

20190209_090436.jpg

This one is the limited edition NVCH-30 reissue that was done by Russian watch forum a few years ago. I absolute love it. If it much higher quality finishing then the usual Vostok.

20190209_090520.jpg

Newer Radio Room. This was my first "real" watch and it has remained on of my favorites. Also it has probably the only comfortable Vostok strap ever made.

20190209_090649.jpg

Scuba Dude. This one is a bit older. Just post fall of the USSR since it isn't marked either made in USSR or Russia. Everyone who likes Vostoks surely has to have a Scuba Dude in the collection but as far as I can tell there are not many dateless ones out there. It took me a year and half to find this one.

20190209_090605.jpg

The Zissou. Another classic from the Vostok lineup. This is one of two watches I added this year because I was dressing as Steve Zissou for something.

The Olma collection

20190209_091412.jpg

Nothing like collecting an obscure forgotten brand. But I bought one as one of my first Swiss vintage watches. Did a little research on the brand and well slowly added some here and there.

20190209_091643.jpg

This was my first Olma. It has a bit of Pie pan effect on the dial which is kind of cool. I am pretty sure it is from the late 60s early 70s.

20190209_091607.jpg

This Olma Sport is from probably the same period as the above one. I bought it for one of the cheap watch challenges on here. Spent some time cleaning it up and had it serviced.

20190209_091532.jpg

I believe this one is from the '50s. Probably my favorite Olma. I love the numerals on it and I am also a sucker for a tank watch. It was a complete pain in the ass to get right again though.

20190209_091451.jpg

This one was a random buy on eBay. It is a bit of a Frankenwatch because the crystal is not original but who can say no to a faceted crystal. It is a bit of funk in my collection.

The other vintage watches.

20190209_091920.jpg

These are the other random vintage watches I have in the collection.

20190209_091956.jpg

1924 Elgin. It is a bit small but it is the oldest member of the collection and I love the Art Deco case. Plus I "needed" an American made watch in the collection.

20190209_092106.jpg
    Oris After Five. It is Five o'clock somewhere.

20190209_092151.jpg
    Smith's Empire. With my dad being British I felt my collection wasn't complete without a Smiths.
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Feb 9, 2019 at 03:40 PM.

Random other watches

20190209_092535.jpg

20190209_092602.jpg

Luch one hander. This one has been modified by removing the chrome coating and replacing the flat crystal with a domed acrylic.

20190209_092644.jpg

Wood quartz watch. Can't remember who made it. It was a groomsmen gift. If I am honest I rarely wear it.

20190209_092731.jpg

Fossil from around 07. It was a graduation gift from my then girlfriend now wife. I rarely wear this one too (in fact the battery was dead when I pulled it out of the case).

20190209_092803.jpg

Orient M-Force diver. This one came from a giveaway here (sorry don't remember who did it). But it is the big bold diver that every collection needs right? It is probably not one I would have bought for myself but it gets worn a decent amount and is my pool/beach watch. And I really enjoy it.
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Feb 9, 2019 at 03:59 PM.

The beaters.

20190209_090838.jpg

20190209_090910.jpg
    Casio AE-1200WHD. Modified a bit with rubber strap, Casio letter removed from case and red tint under part of the lens.

20190209_091037.jpg
    Casio MDV106. Amazing that this watch costs so little.

20190209_091118.jpg

G-shock. Everyone needs a G-shock right? This was the other watch added this year.

I also have a Timex Weekender that lives in a drawer at work.

Finally the plans going forward.

20190209_093111.jpg

So the projects that are ongoing. One the far left a vintage Panerai 6152 homage. This one was the first project of a very talented homage maker from another forum. I have had the Molnija movement serviced but it needs new hands and a better dial.
    Top center is a Luch 2209 which needs a service. I had one before buy sold it and regretted it kind of. This one is one of my favorite versions.
    Top right. A homage watch I am working on. It is going to get a Molnija movement. The idea is imagining if Panerai had made a pilot watch for the Italian air force.
    Center. An old Elgin pocket watch that needs some love (a service and new crystal). I don't remember how I ended up with this one but I really liked the case shape and I'd like a pocket watch in the collection.
    Bottom. An aged pilot watch I am working on. It needs a movement ring then I can finish it off.

This year I'd like to finish all the above projects (except maybe the Panerai pilot) and add a GPS/heart rate monitoring watch for biking. Also replace a couple straps and finish my perlon testing thread on here.

Long term. I have two more vintage Vostoks I want to add, birth year Swatch, continue adding to the Olma collection, one more project and add a nice quartz.
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Feb 9, 2019 at 03:29 PM.

A rather nice collection, thanks for posting!

These three would my favourites:

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I'm sorted and so not buying any more watches.

9. Likes 93EXCivic liked this post
    Very eclectic! My personal favorites are the Radio Room, the Olma tank and the Elgin (I'm also a sucker for Art Deco). Thanks for sharing.

11. Likes 93EXCivic liked this post
    It just goes to show - you don’t have to spend a fortune to have a satisfying watch hobby.

Your collection has more interest than those that result from competitive shopping.