Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cars and Watches - cool write up in Petrolicious about Bathys

Cars and Watches - cool write up in Petrolicious about Bathys

Did any of you happen to catch this recent article / video in Petrolicious about Bathys owner / founder John Patterson's P1800?

God, what a gorgeous car. Wanted one ever since I saw my first P1800 on the street, and immediately assumed it was something Italian, and not Swedish.

http://www.petrolicious.com/this-vol...r-s-design-cue

Watch people always seem to also dig cool cars.

2. Likes CamB, gnuyork liked this post
    Thanks for that - really enjoyed it. As a Saab enthusiast, I love Swedish cars. The video was just great, beautiful car, great location and watches-what more could you ask for.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

4. Likes thewalrus liked this post
    Blog Entries
    The P1800 is one of the world's best looking cars. I remember seeing it on The Saint growing up. At the time, I had no idea it was a Volvo. I just assumed it was a Jag or Aston. Funny though, they originally wanted a Jag E Type, but Jaguar refused to give them the car. Story goes they had enough publicity and didn't need more.

6. Likes thewalrus liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    Thanks for that - really enjoyed it. As a Saab enthusiast, I love Swedish cars. The video was just great, beautiful car, great location and watches-what more could you ask for.
    Man, I've always loved Saab's too. A late 80s, early 90s 900 would be one car I'd think about trading my MG in for. I love the look, the feel, the general funkiness of the design and the engineering. Never quite as much of a fan of the more recent models - lost some of their character. Even if they were better overall cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    The P1800 is one of the world's best looking cars. I remember seeing it on The Saint growing up. At the time, I had no idea it was a Volvo. I just assumed it was a Jag or Aston. Funny though, they originally wanted a Jag E Type, but Jaguar refused to give them the car. Story goes they had enough publicity and didn't need more.
    The first time I saw one I think I thought it was something Italian - 50s era Ferrari or Alfa. It's definitely one of the classics that flies under the radar - and remains surprisingly cheap. I've always thought that the P1800, the Karmann Ghia, the Alfa Romeo Spider (especially the early 70s versions) and the Fiat Spider typify cars that have no right looking so good and being so cheap at the same time. Of course cheap is a relative thing - especially when you're dealing with 40+ year old Italian cars.

Quote Originally Posted by thewalrus View Post
    The first time I saw one I think I thought it was something Italian - 50s era Ferrari or Alfa. It's definitely one of the classics that flies under the radar - and remains surprisingly cheap. I've always thought that the P1800, the Karmann Ghia, the Alfa Romeo Spider (especially the early 70s versions) and the Fiat Spider typify cars that have no right looking so good and being so cheap at the same time. Of course cheap is a relative thing - especially when you're dealing with 40+ year old Italian cars.
    The Fiat Spider is IMHO the number one bargain for old sports cars. Honestly it is better built then the British sports cars (as much as I love the old Brits). Disc brakes, twin cam motor, better suspension then most of the Brits (minus Jag). The Karmann Ghai looks great but underneath it is basically just a Beetle.

I love the P1800 ES.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    The Fiat Spider is IMHO the number one bargain for old sports cars. Honestly it is better built then the British sports cars (as much as I love the old Brits). Disc brakes, twin cam motor, better suspension then most of the Brits (minus Jag). The Karmann Ghai looks great but underneath it is basically just a Beetle.

I love the P1800 ES.
    I'd ad the Alfa Romeo Spider to that list as well. Drove a version of that car when I picked up my MGB. Wonderful engine. The steering was WAY off, though - and it would have cost a good amount to get it set up right. Still - a gorgeous car, ahead of its time when it was made - and still really cheap. I remember reading a modern review of a Duetto - the gist of it was that you get a car that competed equally with Jaguar E-Types and 911s and Corvettes for car buyers attention when it was new, for about a quarter the cost of those other car's current purchase prices. And that comes with Italian styling.

Best design Volvo made before going to the all-box look.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Best design Volvo made before going to the all-box look.
    Though I actually found the all-box design by Volvo to have it's own sort of aesthetic appeal. They still, to by eye, make one of the nicest looking wagons around.

Quote Originally Posted by thewalrus View Post
    Man, I've always loved Saab's too. A late 80s, early 90s 900 would be one car I'd think about trading my MG in for. I love the look, the feel, the general funkiness of the design and the engineering. Never quite as much of a fan of the more recent models - lost some of their character. Even if they were better overall cars.
    We must be soul mates because I still have my Saab and when I was a student, I had a 1966 MGB Mk1
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

14. Likes thewalrus liked this post