Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Under Pressure

Under Pressure

Similar to my "life less lived" post. I know some of you thrive under pressure (M, I believe, enjoys the challenge and stress of what he does). I do not. No sir, I don't like it. My god, I'm under a lot of stress at work right now. I tell ya, I don't know if it's worth it. Pay offs are potentially big, but so what? I just don't know.

What about you guys/gals? Do you love a high stress, high energy lifestyle, or do you prefer a low stress one (even if it means a lower standard of living...but now we're just talking less fancy cars and watches, so don't know if that matters). Anyhoo, just need to vent. As a great man once said, sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. Well, the bear's been getting me quite a bit lately. Maybe I should take up yoga.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

2. Likes Chronopolitano, popoki nui liked this post
    The graveyards are full of folk who thought they couldn't be done without

Modest life for me, no amount of money will pay me to be continually stressed, It was a good day when I woke up and realised that no matter what effort I make for an employer, someday I'll be surplus.

4. Likes is that my watch, Strange, shemp liked this post
    I have the same sort of debate all the time. I like some kinds of stress, but generally I prefer a more laid back lifestyle. The ability to sit back, engage in a good conversation over a nice beer with friends - and without the nagging worries of stress in the background is a heck of a luxury. And it's worth money off the pay check to achieve it, I think. That said, too little stress, and a lack of challenges in life can be pretty damning too.

You can only do what you can do Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1428478061565.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  29.2 KB
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    Throughout my life, I've been cursed with being good at things I don't like to do. I am great at math (rusty now), but I never liked it. I was great at finance, but I absolutely abhorred it. Even back to little league, I desperately wanted to pitch, but I didn't have the accuracy to pitch consistently. I just wasn't good at it. But if you put me at third base, I was a brick wall. Nothing got past me, and I could send it to first base with serious vigor.

This dislike of all my abilities has fostered a bit of a lack of motivation, and perhaps even a lack of focus. I like a challenge, I like to be tested. I find that under pressure, my motivation issues disappear and I become focused like a laser. I need the stress to keep clarity in my mind. And with that clarity, I'm able to tackle issues.

I love a good challenge, and I like to be on my toes. No one enjoys 'stress'.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

9. Likes scottjc, popoki nui liked this post
    My business is as successful as I want it to be. It could have been more successful and I could make quite a bit more money but I chose not to work that hard. I am all right with being the boss of ten people but would not want to be the boss of even twenty, let alone fifty.

When I paint I do best working under a very tight, almost impossible, deadline. Much of my best work happens then and I learn far more.

11. Likes scottjc, timekeeper liked this post
    Wearing spanx helps. A lot.

But all seriousness aside, while I am not a professional Classicist, I've read my share, and learned a few things, like I should!
    Wasn't that the whole point of reading all those Greeks? To get a sense of how one should live as a mortal?

So, nope.
    Why must one must suffer the pointless and inglorious stress and humiliation of running among rats?
    You may win the rat race, but in the end, you're still a rat.

Character is Fate?
    One should follow one's "good daimon" (eudaimonia).

13. Likes pepperami liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Interesting that most of you seem to relate stress to your jobs. My job isn't particularly stressful. My family is.

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

15. Likes timekeeper, Samanator liked this post
    I guess in a sense there's no such thing as a stressful situation; rather it is how one reacts to a situation. I am choosing to get stressed out when I should be choosing the opposite. Bad on me. For me in all honesty I think it's more control. I am not in 100% control of certain situations and it drives me nuts and causes me to choose a stressful reaction.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi