Magic Gold, ceramic, sapphire. We all know that Hublot loves toying with case materials, and their latest comes as yet another clever spin on case materials — the first ever watch cased in yellow sapphire. Hublot wasn’t the first to get into the art of crafting sapphire watch cases, however they have been the first to dabble in colour, and after the successful launch of blue and red, this glowing golden yellow became the brand’s latest addition earlier this year. While hanging in the sun at Watches & Wonders in Miami (sprinting from one meeting to the next), I had an opportunity to take a closer look at this jaune gem. The reality is that people love to bang on Hublot, and especially the Spirit of Big Bang, which is a little unfortunate in my eyes. Yes, its tonneau case shape didn’t exactly reinvent the wheel when it launched in 2014, but the uneducated callout of it being derivative is about as accurate as stating that any black-dialled dive watch on the market is a copy of a Rolex Submariner. But I digress. From the onset I’ve actually been kinda fond of the Big Bang, and though the shift in…

The post HANDS-ON: The Hublot Spirit of Big Bang Yellow Sapphire –*the not so mellow yellow appeared first on Time and Tide Watches.

More...