Likes Likes:  448
Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitness thread

Fitness thread

Bring it on! I have been traveling these past two weeks, and haven't run or lifted in that time.

Hopefully, starting today, I can go back to my running and lifting regimen whilst eating delicious salads and drinking protein shakes.

Well, I've started training for a half-ironman next summerr. So I'm training (or at least doing something) most days.

Minimum of a 5 k run 5 days a week - with at least one 10+ km run each week. This schedule gets interesting when the temperature hits -20 C and lower. I hate the tread mill, and only the absolute worst days outside will force me to the gym.

It's snowy up here, so bike training is tough. Working out on a stationary bike isn't quite the same thing. Contemplating getting a trainer so I can at least do time on the bike I'll be using. Also thinking about trying to bust out my hybrid when the roads aren't unreasonably snow / ice -covered.

Swimming, I've been trying to hit between 1 and 2 km of distance in a pool once or twice a week. The problem here is the fact that the local, free, pool is used somewhat frequently by undergrad bros as a place to party / flex. Makes for interesting training. Thinking about getting a membership at a local gym that has an Olympic sized pool. But the cheap-skate in me wonders why I'd pay money for something I have for free.

Weight training, etc. needs serious work. Trying to get at least two days a week in. Right now it's the thing I'm most behind on. I know, logically, that you need to do it to be a good triathlete. At the same time, it's so much easier, and relaxing, to bust out a run or a swim.

I broke my finger so no training for a while but planning at least two Tough Mudders next year so hope I'm not off too long.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416247657.388091.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  88.4 KB

"I'm just a witness"

4. Likes Drop of a Hat liked this post
    I'm in reasonable shape but I'm on a drive to get big and ripped so I'm hitting the gym hard 6 days a week, eating as much as I can (pretty clean though) and 3 protein shakes a day (salted caramel myprotein whey hmmmm)... Still formulating my routine so I don't overtrain a body part but something like this:

Day 1
    Shoulders (mil press, Arnold press, standing row, front raises)

Day 2
    Legs and back (squats, deadlift, sldl, calf raises)

Day 3
    Cardio/rest

Day 4
    Chest and arms

Or something. Someone said 72 hours rest for each muscle. Do you concur? 48 is much easier to accommodate!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I'm in reasonable shape but I'm on a drive to get big and ripped so I'm hitting the gym hard 6 days a week, eating as much as I can (pretty clean though) and 3 protein shakes a day (salted caramel myprotein whey hmmmm)... Still formulating my routine so I don't overtrain a body part but something like this:

Day 1
    Shoulders (mil press, Arnold press, standing row, front raises)

Day 2
    Legs and back (squats, deadlift, sldl, calf raises)

Day 3
    Cardio/rest

Day 4
    Chest and arms

Or something. Someone said 72 hours rest for each muscle. Do you concur? 48 is much easier to accommodate!
    I think 48 is probably fine - I mean that's two full days/ Most advice I've heard is that you should give your muscles a day or two off. As a general guideline. And that it's at least someone dependent on the intensity of the previous work out.

Chest, shoulders, triceps, and also did legs today. Didn't run, though. Ran last night and did chest too. Feeling it now, though. Feels good!

The plan I'm following is 3 days on (push day, pull day, leg day), 1 rest. This gives 72 hours of rest to each group you're working. Cardio everyday.

I keep in shape by chasing Geoff around the internet.

"He's just a witness"

9. Likes jsw41, Seriously liked this post
    I try to keep in shape (round IS a shape) with swimming, surfing, snorkelling and kayaking from April to October. My partner and I and friends also do geocaching, mostly from October to April, when it's cooler out. I also like cycling. We have an exercise room at home with treadmill, stationary bike, road bike on a fluid trainer, and free weights.
    I can't go at things like I used to due to a cardiac problem and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome , but I keep on keepin' on the best I can. I like being active.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Just remember; John Candy of SCTV fame once showed how not to overdo it:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...p;b=1&tt=b

John
    If you come to a fork in the road; take it, and then put it down so someone else can use it.

So in !!!!!!!!

Been fighting the flu all week long and being oncall at work last 5 days, I haven't done anything at all (for oncall, I have to cover a 200 mile radius and 24/7 availability means no tiring work end of day in case I have to wake up and do a 2 hr drive in the middle of the night.

Wasn't feeling it today but I was what the heck....did my All Pro workout ..reduced the load by 30% and skipped the post cardio. Was able to make it to the end without collapsing in my home gym. For post shake, drinking a big cup of tea with ginger/spices. TheraFlu for later.

Cardio tomorrow so I'll take that slow as well. Being sick sucks!!