Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eterna 1948 Reveil

Eterna 1948 Reveil

I took delivery of this cool Eterna yesterday, and I'm not impressed! It keeps horrible time by gaining 5 minutes per day. I can't wind the stupid thing. It has a vintage A Schild 1475 alarm movement, and the winding crown is so stiff, it's impossible to wind. I do like the watch, but functionally it sucks. You would think that Eterna having a suggested retail of $5000.00 would insure that it keeps reasonably good time and that mechanically, it functions properly. Well, it's going back! I believe it may be defective.

It certainly sounds defective to me.

What a disappointment...

Bought new? If so, presumably you just got a bad one, but it doesn’t speak well for their QC if that’s the case...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, purchased brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Bought new? If so, presumably you just got a bad one, but it doesn’t speak well for their QC if that’s the case...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Yes, purchased brand new.
    Inexcusable.

Not acceptable, which is a shame, because the watch looks nice.

correct me if im wrong but part of the movement is vintage is it not -i wonder if its the new or the old that is at fault

It is a NOS vintage movement of which Eterna made 70 of these watches. The alarm crown and function works fine but winding the watch is almost impossible. I have no idea what the problem is, but it's not right. I've all manner of manual wind movements over the years and some wind easier than others, but this one is just super tight. That, along with the tiny crown makes it near unusable. I'm starting to think that these manufacturers find these old movements, blow the dust off and slap them in a case and then charge crazy money for them.

Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    correct me if im wrong but part of the movement is vintage is it not -i wonder if its the new or the old that is at fault
    Last edited by Larry; Mar 1, 2019 at 07:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    What a shame. You're right, those crowns are tiny for a manual wind watch. Otherwise it's quite an attractive watch.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

I don't know what's happening with the movement, but sometimes there's a seal on the stem and as it gets old it becomes stuck, making the watch almost impossible to wind. Not sure if that's the case, but again: not acceptable.