Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The reason why I prefer simple battery powered G lately..

The reason why I prefer simple battery powered G lately..

Before I know how to change my watches batteries by my self, i'm always fascinated with the idea of rechargeable cell G..
    its a great concept of standalone and worry free wristwatch..

one of the downside of solar power G -- since i live in tropical climate and pretty hot, most of my solar power G got some 'cloudy', 'smudges', or whatever its name-- between the mineral glass and the adhesive clear layer that put the solar panel in its place... it is noticeable in positive display but just worse with negative display..

my brother gave his G5600nv that he use daily for quite a while and complain how the display becoming more and more illegible.. i try to clean it but not succed unless i peal the clear sticker which i'm affraid gonna ruin the fragile solar panel.

here's a couple of fotos to show the worst case:
    Name:  DSCN0063.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0066.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  58.0 KB

here's the less cloudy example but still very noticeable in real life on my white G5600
    Name:  DSCN0069.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  62.7 KB

my previous G6900 and most of my solar G also got this issue with varying degries.. i know G is a tool watch and no one would care.. i agree, that's why i keep it to my self all this long.

hydro-mod 'might' help with the issue but i'm not comfortable with it..

none of my battery G got this problem due to the lack of additional adhesive below the crystal... beside i can change the battery in a G in less than a minute.. might take a bit longer IF it required cleaning..

nop, i'm not starting any debate... it just might be the climate where i life or pure un-fortunate events =)

my modded G5600nv is also claudy but in some angle, the positive display help with the issue.. you still can see the cloudy solar panel in real life.
    Name:  DSCN0076.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  56.3 KB

my theory, dont put your solar G in extreme heat or bright sunlight... i know the solar power is what keep the G alive, but it's also degrading the material..

have a great day everybody.

Oh shit.

Didnt see this on any of my solars yet but im living not in the hottest Environment.

i've notice these issue even just days/weeks after bought my solar watches.. some are still ignore-able and some even getting too noticeable..

not only G, but my solar casio WS-220 also seem have these smudges, but the positive display make it less noticeable even though it's definately there.

some of my solar powered are bought in the USA from family member, and some are showing this issue.. so it's not only the model that i bought domesticly... you can see it in some angles and certain light condition.. but like i said, the positive display wont suffer as much..

do you have solar powered G with negative display d2mac?

Yes, several.
    GW-M5600BC and others.
    I will check when im back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    i've notice these issue even just days/weeks after bought my solar watches.. some are still ignore-able and some even getting too noticeable..

not only G, but my solar casio WS-220 also seem have these smudges, but the positive display make it less noticeable even though it's definately there.

some of my solar powered are bought in the USA from family member, and some are showing this issue.. so it's not only the model that i bought domesticly... you can see it in some angles and certain light condition.. but like i said, the positive display wont suffer as much..

do you have solar powered G with negative display d2mac?

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    Yes, several.
    GW-M5600BC and others.
    I will check when im back home.
    thanks d2mac... hopefully you dont suffer any of these issues like me... finger crossed for you.. goodluck buddy.. =)

I liken the haze on the backside of the crystal to the haze you get on the inside of your car after some time of not cleaning the inside windshield. It is not noticeable until you are driving into the sun. In the car I think different materials are breaking down and releasing "stuff" in the environment of the car.

It could also have to with heat build up between the solar panels and the lcd causing extra particles to adhere to the backside of the crystal.

7. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Sorry to hear this Iyonk. Good job with the photos you posted, they really show the problem clearly.

I no longer have any negative solars, but I checked all my positive solars and I dont see this issue on any of them.

9. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    I liken the haze on the backside of the crystal to the haze you get on the inside of your car after some time of not cleaning the inside windshield. It is not noticeable until you are driving into the sun. In the car I think different materials are breaking down and releasing "stuff" in the environment of the car.

It could also have to with heat build up between the solar panels and the lcd causing extra particles to adhere to the backside of the crystal.
    good theory Rocat.. i know the G5600nv from new, and can see the problem gradually become so much worse and the's nothing i can do about it.. its like there are something in the manufacturing process that make the tiny gap between the crystal and adhesive getting some reaction.

the positive mod G5600nv definately got some claudy haze, but it become much less noticeable when the positive lcd was fitted... it seem the dark surface of the negative LCD would pronounce the haze significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Sorry to hear this Iyonk. Good job with the photos you posted, they really show the problem clearly.

I no longer have any negative solars, but I checked all my positive solars and I dont see this issue on any of them.
    dont worry Greg, none of my positive display solar show this issue as much as the problematic G5600nv photos i showed above.. it might show a little bit around the solar panel, but nothing serious anyway..

i'm thinking to hydro-mod this one but can't pull the trigger since i know the process is not reversible.

Checked my negatives and found no problems.
    But again, my negatives dont get much direct sun (since it not that sunny here and i dont wear them often anyhow).

Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    thanks d2mac... hopefully you dont suffer any of these issues like me... finger crossed for you.. goodluck buddy.. =)

13. Likes iyonk liked this post