Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Convincing Tribe...

  1. #1

    Convincing Tribe...

    Acclimatising at Tengboche - looking steel on Bonkilp to me (and tantalisingly familiar...)




    Leaving the South Col the day before the assault - still looking steel and Bonklip


    And another at the same time just to really make the point:




    Relaxing on the trek back to civilisation - still silver on Bonklip



    Surely that's enough?

    Because if it isn't -here's the smoking gun:



    Convinced yet?
    Last edited by Matt; Mar 3, 2019 at 09:05 PM.

  2. Likes crownpuller liked this post
  3. #2
    Moderator - Central tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Kent - UK
    Posts
    13,189
    Let me see if I can remember my ‘O’ level Logic -

    In May 1953, Tenzing, owned one grey watch - a Smiths.
    Colour photos from the Everest expedition show him wearing a grey watch.
    Tenzing’s Everest expedition watch was a Smiths.

    In addition, Tenzing owned a gold Rolex given to him a year earlier by Rolex. Photographs appear to show Tenzing wearing one watch, not two.

    Further still, Rolex conceded, in 1953, that Hillary wore a Smiths to the top of Everest. There is documentary evidence of this in a letter from Rolex to the British Horological Journal. Rolex has subsequently not stated that Hillary wore a Rolex on his ascent. Instead, Rolex has spoken of supplying the expedition, stopping just short of mentioning the ascent. Equally, Rolex has not stated that Tenzing wore a Rolex on the ascent.

    Many Rolex enthusiasts once believed that Hillary and Tenzing wore Rolexes on the ascent. Most of those enthusiasts subsequently accepted that Hillary wore a Smiths. Today, it seems highly likely that both Hillary and Tenzing were wearing Smiths watches on the ascent of Everest. It is unlikely that Tenzing was also wearing a Rolex.


    How’s that?

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Let me see if I can remember my ‘O’ level Logic -

    In May 1953, Tenzing, owned one grey watch - a Smiths.
    Colour photos from the Everest expedition show him wearing a grey watch.
    Tenzing’s Everest expedition watch was a Smiths.

    In addition, Tenzing owned a gold Rolex given to him a year earlier by Rolex. Photographs appear to show Tenzing wearing one watch, not two.

    Further still, Rolex conceded, in 1953, that Hillary wore a Smiths to the top of Everest. There is documentary evidence of this in a letter from Rolex to the British Horological Journal. Rolex has subsequently not stated that Hillary wore a Rolex on his ascent. Instead, Rolex has spoken of supplying the expedition, stopping just short of mentioning the ascent. Equally, Rolex has not stated that Tenzing wore a Rolex on the ascent.

    Many Rolex enthusiasts once believed that Hillary and Tenzing wore Rolexes on the ascent. Most of those enthusiasts subsequently accepted that Hillary wore a Smiths. Today, it seems highly likely that both Hillary and Tenzing were wearing Smiths watches on the ascent of Everest. It is unlikely that Tenzing was also wearing a Rolex.


    How’s that?
    That sounds like a man who is dangerously close to convinced. It's also worth noting that while Tenzing ended up in the final assault, he was only hired as the Sherpas' Sirdar and even then wasn't expected to do much as he had been recovering from a long illness. Now go and tell them that!

    To be fair, it's clear from other photos that Tenzing owned a couple of other watches but none the right size and shape. I don't know if you saw, but after checking every single bamboo bracelet I could find in my boxes of rubbish, I found one that was the perfect fit - the in house West End Watch one. It's pretty clear that, post war, he owned a Taubert cased West End Watch, from which he robbed the bracelet. Like Bonklip, if you set them up just right, you can peel them off one watch and onto another in seconds and still have a perfectly secure strap. In other words, there's a reasonable chance he arrived wearing his ex service WEW and swapped bracelets with the Smiths when he was given it! That means that along side the Omega, Rolex and Smiths, there's a chance that there was a West End Watch there too!
    Last edited by Matt; Mar 3, 2019 at 10:12 PM.

  5. #4
    Moderator - Central tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Kent - UK
    Posts
    13,189
    You don’t need my help, Matt - and I only post here.

    I do think the colour photos are your best and most concise argument, though. People can debate lug shapes in a less than sharp picture, but it’s hard to argue that grey is yellow.

  6. #5
    Moderator - Central tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Kent - UK
    Posts
    13,189
    Ah, you’ve edited...

    but yes, I have noted the supporting evidence of the bracelet.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    You don’t need my help, Matt - and I only post here.

    I do think the colour photos are your best and most concise argument, though. People can debate lug shapes in a less than sharp picture, but it’s hard to argue that grey is yellow.
    That's fair enough, it's an odd environment there I concede.

    I thought that the clear brushed effect was pretty effective too: if there's one thing you can rely on Rolex for it's a shiny case side and lugs. Mind you, the moment you bring up Rolex it really is like arguing about religion...

  8. #7
    Moderator - Central tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Kent - UK
    Posts
    13,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    the moment you bring up Rolex it really is like arguing about religion...

    It’s exactly like that. Personally, I have no faith in faith, even when associated with a top-class deity like Rolex.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    It’s exactly like that. Personally, I have no faith in faith, even when associated with a top-class deity like Rolex.
    Well, after four days of colliding with a lot of it, I think my daughter agrees with you. Mind you, my mother in law is no longer talking to me, mostly because she thinks I'm not strict enough with my daughter.
    Last edited by Matt; Mar 3, 2019 at 11:49 PM.

  10. #9
    and here's me thinking that this thread was about Matt convincing Mr Tribe to sell him the Smiths watch....................................

    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    and here's me thinking that this thread was about Matt convincing Mr Tribe to sell him the Smiths watch....................................

    Don't knock it, it worked!



    Cheers Mr Tribe!

    Now about that Hawkinge...

  12. Likes Seriously, synequano liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us