Likes Likes:  665
Page 1 of 241 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies / Films / Flicks

Movies / Films / Flicks

We don't seem to have a thread for random discussion of movies watched, or if we do it's lost on the mists of The Lounge; so given that I've just watched a film I want to discuss, I'll start one.

22 Jump Street

Probably the funniest film I've watched since 21 Jump Street - likeable throughout, and manages that South Park trick of seeming to be really dumb but actually being quite clever. Also really, truly funny, especially the end credits which made me sides hurt.
    The fact that it featured one of my favourite actors (Peter Stomare) didn't hurt either.

Blog Entries
    This isn't really what you asked for but the two best movies I've seen in the last 20yrs are The Lives of Others and The Dreamlife of Angels. Both are stunningly well acted, emotionally affecting, and insightfully revealing of character. Highly recommended.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    The fact that it featured one of my favourite actors (Peter Stomare) didn't hurt either.
    Haha. Stormare is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    This isn't really what you asked for but the two best movies I've seen in the last 20yrs are The Lives of Others and The Dreamlife of Angels. Both are stunningly well acted, emotionally affecting, and insightfully revealing of character. Highly recommended.
    The Lives of Others is the one about East Germany isn't it? Still haven't got around to seeing that but have heard it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed Brown View Post
    Haha. Stormare is the man.
    He never fails to entertain

Blog Entries
    The Lives of Others is the one about East Germany isn't it? Still haven't got around to seeing that but have heard it's great.
    Yeppers, that's the one. The German title is Das Leben der Anderen.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Yeppers, that's the one. The German title is Das Leben der Anderen.
    Another big gap in my recent (ish) German film viewing is Downfall. I need to correct both those omissions

Blog Entries
    Another big gap in my recent (ish) German film viewing is Downfall. I need to correct both those omissions
    Downfall is definitely worth seeing. Bruno Ganz is superb as Hitler, and the film does a really good job of portraying how his closest confidantes and generals are too afraid of him to challenge him once it's no longer deniable that he's really coming unspooled. It's also interesting in that it's based on the autobiography and memories of Traudl Junge, who was Hitler's private secretary, and at the time the film was made the only surviving inhabitant of the Führer bunker in the final days.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

9. Likes whatmeworry liked this post
    I missed ex machina in the cinema and am looking forward to catching it on DVD. Otherwise mad max comes out soon, which we've already discussed here.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I missed ex machina in the cinema and am looking forward to catching it on DVD. Otherwise mad max comes out soon, which we've already discussed here.
    Who is the lady in that, Geoff, I forget?