Likes Likes:  716
Page 245 of 249 FirstFirst ... 145195235243244245246247 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,450 of 2486

Thread: Movies / Films / Flicks

You Were Never Really Here -- slow burner but engaging from the start, gritty, noir, I want to say slightly psychotic, too. Good.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Which is fair, I do the same to a degree, but I will never ever watch a sub 6/10 imdb score film.
    IMDB ratings are definitely a tricky thing. I have been burned too many times by 7+ rated movies that were absolute garbage. Like Gone Girl for example. Who watches this mess and thinks it's a good movie?
    But I often watched movies that were rated like 5/10 that were highly enjoyable -- like certain B-movies that were just mindless fun. I guess my taste is not really mainstream compatible. Well sometimes it is. I watched Dirty Dancing about two dozen times.
    But I also changed my mind so often on movies over time.
    Best example might be James Bond movies. As a kid there was only Sean Connery for me. Now I can barely watch those as they aged so badly. With a few exceptions. While I never liked Pierce Brosnan as Bond when younger, I now think he was one of the best Bonds ever.
    Or not long ago I re-watched the original Evil Dead and despite the cheesy, cheap FX it was still quite disturbing to watch which I didn't really expect. When I first watched the Nightmare on Elm Street remake -- I thought it sucked. On a second watch, I thought it was pretty good actually. It was simply a much darker version of the story with zero humor.
    Always interesting to re-watch certain movies after a long time.
    Cheers, Sedi

Movies / Films / Flicks

I rely completely on the opinions of the folks on this forum.

Mainly I ignore ratings entirely, and make my decisions by watching a couple of episodes and then deciding whether I like it enough to keep going. I know, weird, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    IMDB ratings are definitely a tricky thing. I have been burned too many times by 7+ rated movies that were absolute garbage. Like Gone Girl for example. Who watches this mess and thinks it's a good movie?
    But I often watched movies that were rated like 5/10 that were highly enjoyable -- like certain B-movies that were just mindless fun. I guess my taste is not really mainstream compatible. Well sometimes it is. I watched Dirty Dancing about two dozen times.
    But I also changed my mind so often on movies over time.
    Best example might be James Bond movies. As a kid there was only Sean Connery for me. Now I can barely watch those as they aged so badly. With a few exceptions. While I never liked Pierce Brosnan as Bond when younger, I now think he was one of the best Bonds ever.
    Or not long ago I re-watched the original Evil Dead and despite the cheesy, cheap FX it was still quite disturbing to watch which I didn't really expect. When I first watched the Nightmare on Elm Street remake -- I thought it sucked. On a second watch, I thought it was pretty good actually. It was simply a much darker version of the story with zero humor.
    Always interesting to re-watch certain movies after a long time.
    7+ doesn't guarantee you're going to enjoy it, but less than 7 means I probably won't, all other things being equal. Like I say 99% of films on Netflix are sub 5 and I will not bother.

And yeah, Brosnan (as in Goldeneye) is one of the best bond films.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

6. Likes Sedi liked this post
    Airplane binging back and forth:

Holdovers - great
    Oppenheimer - good
    Gentlemen - entertaining
    Wonka - average

8. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    I wish planes allowed you to use your own headphones. Theirs are terrible.

Ooh just discovered this https://amzn.eu/d/iICzw4W
    Last edited by geoffbot; Apr 19, 2024 at 01:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I wish planes allowed you to use your own headphones. Theirs are terrible.

Ooh just discovered this https://amzn.eu/d/iICzw4W
    I just watch on my iPad, but the last time I was on a plane, any wired headphones worked on their system. A little dongle like that should work for going wireless, though.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I just watch on my iPad, but the last time I was on a plane, any wired headphones worked on their system. A little dongle like that should work for going wireless, though.
    It's the noise cancelling that I need really.

Desperation Road -- I watched it yesterday and had a feeling it tried to be more than it really was: deeper, darker, smarter. And it was just an exotically American crime story that I kinda sorta liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    Holdovers - great
    Added, thx for the recommendation.

14. Likes Fantasio liked this post