Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Added, thx for the recommendation.
    I’ll second that—it was terrific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Added, thx for the recommendation.
    I’ve seen it a well and can second the recommendation. From what I’ve seen of the Best Picture noms, Holdovers was my second favorite, ahead of Barbie, behind Past Lives.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

4. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I’ve seen it a well and can second the recommendation. From what I’ve seen of the Best Picture noms, Holdovers was my second favorite, ahead of Barbie, behind Past Lives.
    You’ll need to third it, then.

6. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    You’ll need to third it, then.

True, true, you beat me to it.

Either way, excellent film. Giamatti’s performance is probably the best of his illustrious career, Da’Vine Joy Randolph was a complete shock; I always thought she was kind of flat in Only Murders, and one of those double dipped diversity hires you see commonly in TV shows desperately trying to seem more diverse than they are (her character is not only a detective, so having some authority, she’s a lesbian Black woman; casting loves to tick multiple boxes with one hire, I think that’s one of the reasons we’ve seen so many gay Asian sidekicks in shows and movies lately), but her performance was heartfelt and real. And in just one movie, Dominic Sessa has impressed me more than Hollywood’s sad boy golden child Timothee Chalamet. I mean, it’s literally his only IMDB credit as an actor, what a find.

8. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Upgrade -- wow, old-school coolness with Terminator vibes, and maybe a little bit of Blade Runner and Strange Days? Not a masterpiece, nor aspiring to be, but I loved it tonight.

10. Likes Raza, Sedi liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Upgrade -- wow, old-school coolness with Terminator vibes, and maybe a little bit of Blade Runner and Strange Days? Not a masterpiece, nor aspiring to be, but I loved it tonight.
    Definitely a very good sci-fi film. It came out around the same time as Venom and the movies struck me as similar—Logan Marshall-Green being a sort of American version of Tom Hardy, even—and yet, it was so much better written, much more well done, smarter; there’s a reason it’s sitting at both an 88% RT and 88% audience score. It’s got something to say and says it smartly, without, perhaps, rising to high art, and it does it in a way that’s accessible to the vast majority of audiences. And, it does what science fiction is fundamentally supposed to do—reflect society through the lens of the future and make us question things about ourselves and where we’re going. I’m a big fan of Upgrade.

12. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Ooh I'm gonna watch that!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

14. Likes Sedi liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Definitely a very good sci-fi film. It came out around the same time as Venom and the movies struck me as similar—Logan Marshall-Green being a sort of American version of Tom Hardy, even—and yet, it was so much better written, much more well done, smarter; there’s a reason it’s sitting at both an 88% RT and 88% audience score. It’s got something to say and says it smartly, without, perhaps, rising to high art, and it does it in a way that’s accessible to the vast majority of audiences. And, it does what science fiction is fundamentally supposed to do—reflect society through the lens of the future and make us question things about ourselves and where we’re going. I’m a big fan of Upgrade.
    Are you talking about venom the marvel movie? If you’re finding this equal to venom then I think I have to pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

I’m trying to remember the last time I actually went out to a theater to watch a movie. I believe it was John Wick four. I can’t believe this isn’t on the streaming services yet.

Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Are you talking about venom the marvel movie? If you’re finding this equal to venom then I think I have to pass.

No, no, no. I meant they were similar in core concept (a second presence in the mind influences a host’s actions), but the execution of Upgrade is leagues, leagues better. The stories aren’t even close. And the biggest difference is that Upgrade is a good movie and Venom was god awful.