Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed 2500 vs 8500

Advice Needed 2500 vs 8500

Hi Omega fans,

I am hoping to soon purchase my first co-axial movement (and first Omega for that matter.)

While realising that it won't be the most popular choice on this forum, I have my heart set on the modern Constellation rather than the more vintage inspired Globemasters or sportier Seamasters.

My choice is between the 38mm with the 8500 caliber and the 35mm with the 2500 caliber.

The watches wear larger than the measurements would suggest, and because the 8500 is quite a tall movement, the 38mm version is 13mm thick. Since I am looking for an office watch to wear with a suit and tie, I would prefer the watch to be thinner. However, I love the finish on the 8500, plus it has the twin barrels and the Si balance wheel.

The 35mm has the advantage of being only 10mm thick and the size is well suited to my skinny wrist. While the 2500D has the 3 level escape wheel found in the 8500, it doesn't have the Si balance wheel or the twin barrels. It is however, quite a bit less expensive.

So what do the Omega fans say? Is the 8500 worth the extra cash? Is it really necessary in a office watch? From what I read, people are very happy with the accuracy of the 2500. Please let me know your ideas, preferences and opinions (personal opinions are fine) of these movements.

Thanks!
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    photos would be good too for me hmmm good question I believe the original was 36mm so might go for the 35mm for size but then to be honest if I was to get one would have to be a 90's one ..but that just me have you tried them on ? as some time they wear big to some and small to others ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

also read this post from the omega forum

Omega watch newbie here (excuse all mistakes I make below!)

Very excited as I just ordered a new 35mm Constellation with black pitted face.

I do have a 15 year old seamaster quartz and a similarly old tag heuer (which I will not buy again as some paint markings fell off the dial )

I was looking for a new watch and started to read intensely on the internet to discover the technicalities behind the brands, reasons for differences in price, movements, etc. its quite confusing and involved so perhaps I have picked up only the surface, but I find the difference in watch movements very interesting.

I felt like something different and not just another diving type design nor an overflashy watch. To be honest the Constellation has attracted me for sometime but I felt the price was too high for my budget. However I just sold some camera equipment so freed up some capital ......

I wrote off quartz early. The idea of having a precision mechanical device constantly working is very appealing. Obviously this watch is more then just (a) a timekeeper and (b) a piece of jewellery for me. Its also a technical marvell to appreciate on a cold and boring day in the office.

I decided I liked the steel only constellation design. Its actually quite a striking watch and I found the editions with bits of gold were just a bit too showy for me, even if I could afford them. If I was a billionaire I would probably get a platinum one

I immediately liked the black face and the hands are also easier to see. There is a new one out with a pitted black surface which I went for. Its something a bit different and is quite subtle, as it looks smart and slightly sparkly on your wrist but from a distance looks like a normal black face.

The next decision is between the 35mm and the 38mm. There are a number of things associated with this, size, weight, thickness, 2500D or 850x calibre movement and cost - in the UK £3,800 for the 38mm/850x and £2,780 for the 35mm/2500D

Firstly I think they both look stunning. I was more attacted to the 35mm as I have a small wrist and I like a light watch. The 38mm is also thicker, due to the 8500 movement, and I really felt the extra in weight. The 38mm does look a bit more macho (in a nice way !!) and also the trend today is for bigger watches, so despite the price difference its actually more popular.

In terms of 8500 vs 2500 its more complicated, especially for a watch simpleton like me.
    Owners of the 8500 and the 2500D seems to be uniformly happy in performance with virtually no reliability issues I have read anywhere. The 8500 is a more exciting movement as it is designed from scratch, albeit, as I have read, in conjunction with ETA engineers and many ETA designed components. The 2500 seems to be designed around the top grade version of the ETA 2892 and I feel comforted that it is based on a tried and tested design.

Finally, taking all the above into account, I decided to go with the 35mm (technically the 123.10.35.20.01.002).
    I did look at the second hand market in a varierty of different places, but its extremely difficult (if not impossible) to find any of the recent range used. On the basis I would keep it for many years it seemed reasonable to buy new and I also managed to get a very good discount.

I hope no one will tell me I missed something big! and would also be interesting to hear from any other new Constellation 35mm or 38mm owners!
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

this was a good reply post too have trim to relevant part

You have also made some good observations with regards to movements - the cal. 2500D is the latest version of Omega's 1st generation Co-Axial movement. This features the same optimised three level escapement that is found in the cal. 8500 (as opposed to a two level escapement in the A-C variants), and has evolved into a very solid timekeeper, and will be a great workhorse movement for quite some time. In terms of the differences between it and the cal. 8500 there are quite a few:

*As you have correctly observed, the cal. 2500 is based on the ETA 2892, and heavily modified by Omega. Some would argue that with ETA being owned by the same parent company as Omega, it is an in-house movement, but I would treat it as a separate entity. The cal. 8500 was built from the ground up around the Co-Axial escapement, so it is fully optimised for it - it gets the most out of the benefits the escapement offers. Although it was designed in conjunction with ETA, it is an Omega exclusive, and will not be used by any other brands inside or outside of the Swatch Group

*The cal. 2500 has a slightly lower power reserve - 48hrs vs. 60hrs in the cal. 8500

*The cal. 2500 uses a more traditional single mainspring (which holds the watch's power reserve), whilst the cal. 8500 uses a twin mainspring system. The idea behind this is a more consistent transmission of power, and eliminates timing inconsistencies near the bottom of its power reserve - single mainspring watches have a tendency to speed up when low on power.

*The cal. 2500 isn't decorated to the same level as the cal. 8500, although it isn't by any means an ugly movement

*The cal. 2500 uses a more traditional Nivarox hairspring (used right across the Swiss watch industry), whilst the cal. 8500 uses a Silicium hairspring. The idea behind this is that it is less susceptible to changes in temperature compared to a metallic hairspring, is completely unaffected by magnetism, and also has a better elastic memory than a metallic hairspring, meaning it can withstand sharp shocks a lot better

Despite the differences, the cal. 2500 is a nice little movement, and is more compact than the cal. 8500 - it will serve you well for the lifetime of the watch

Enjoy your new Constellation, and remember, we love pictures here

Chris
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Hi,

Thanks for posting what you found on the net 'Is that my watch'. I think we visited some of the same forums because I recognise some of the posts.

I hope to hear feedback from IWL members who have owned these watches and have personal experience with them, wearing them and perhaps servicing them.

I'm not too concerned about resale as I can't recall ever actually selling a watch. Since I don't have the watch, I don't have any photos but here are the links to the relevant Omega site pages.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...12310352003002
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...12310382103001
    The quilt pattern is far more subtle and the dial not quite as blue as the photo would suggest. More of a steel grey/blue that compliments the case beautifully. Pity about the white date wheel though...

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...12310352001002
    The 'pitted' dial referred to in the post above - I think 'waffle'(?) is more descriptive. Only available in 35mm. While Gerald Genta did some design work for Omega in the 60's, he was not involved with this Constellation. Nonetheless it has something Genta-esque about it so perhaps the waffle dial, reminiscent of the AP Petite Tapisserie dials, is appropriate. Or is it trying to hard?

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...12310352001001
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...12310382101001
    Smart, masculine sunburst dial. Love that the striations emanate from the star and not the canon pinion. In the hand, the brushing is almost invisible so not always quite so noticeable.

Choices, choices, choices....
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

thats the thing thou not sure any members have one ?

think shameless has a 90's one maybe some one has but not sure have seen one of the modern ones ? not saying members might not have one just ant seen it so was trying to give you back ground info ..plus for any one looking to get one the info is insightful so always good to have on a thread )
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    thats the thing thou not sure any members have one ?

think shameless has a 90's one maybe some one has but not sure have seen one of the modern ones ? not saying members might not have one just ant seen it so was trying to give you back ground info ..plus for any one looking to get one the info is insightful so always good to have on a thread )
    Thanks for trying to help, appreciate it, but unfortunately you missed the point of my post. I’ve already decided on the Constellation so that’s not the issue. Most of what you Googled I read already yesterday.

I’m asking about the movements. The 2500 and 8500 are used in many of the various Omega watches worn by members of this forum. How about we give the Omega owners with ownership experience a chance to weigh in?

9. Likes Seriously liked this post
    I have the 8500. I like the bragging rights of two barrels, si balance, and it's finished beautifully.

Holy God my watch is filthy!!

I really don't feel that it's too tall at all - my tag was; this wears perfectly normally though - feel slimmer than a submariner.

So, the 8500 is cool, and the height doesn't bother me. That said it's my only watch so I don't need a long pr, and I don't really care about accuracy tbh.

Why would you choose the 2500-just for the slimmer profile? Cheaper?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

11. Likes FSM71 liked this post
    Thanks Geoff,

Yes, the 8500 is certainly the one with the bragging rights and the finish is really nice. Thanks for the pictures - I can see your watch is a favourite.

In a sports watch, the height of the 8500 wouldn't be an issue for me, but in a 'dress watch' I'd prefer it to be a bit slimmer. The price difference is not inconsiderable. For me it's the difference between staying in budget and breaking budget.

When I add up all the pro's and con's I'm stuck on the fence. Both movements are accurate and reliable by all accounts. My heart says go for the prettier, more interesting 8500, even if it means saving a bit longer. My head says that the slimmer 2500 is more suited to the Constellation and is perfectly adequate for the task. And it means I can get the watch immediately.

I guess I'm just hoping for an opinion or experience of a forum member to help sway me one way or the other.

I don't have an 8500 to compare it to and there's no display back to admire it through, but I have no issues with my 2500. Last worn before Christmas after sitting in the box for a few years..... lost all of 1 second in the day that I wore it.
    Not sure that's any help in your decision.

Name:  1511.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  191.8 KB

EDIT: Specifics, dear boy; specifics ?.... It's a 2500D.

Further EDIT: Regarding thickness - I used to go for big chunky watches but not any more; as I've 'grown up' (debatable !) I definitely lean more towards slimmer watches. I don't even need them to slip under a cuff (polo shirt at work) and rarely wear a shirt & tie, I just prefer them thinner these days.
    The extra 3mm of the 8500 in this case would be a non-starter for me. If it were me, I'd be going for the sleeker model - Less is more, and all that.
    Last edited by crownpuller; Mar 9, 2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: After-thoughts
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.