Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neiman Marcus to Sell Vintage (and Modern) Watches

Neiman Marcus to Sell Vintage (and Modern) Watches

Well, they already are in two locations, but there's the potential for more. I have mixed feelings about this because I feel it's hot to sell vintage watches right now. Men's mags are touting them, which is causing the hipsters to swarm toward them. Yet once the fad dies down, I bet very few stick around.

A lingering fear of mine, however, is that the fad does stick around (is it a fad, then?!) and drives the price of certain vintage watches up even more.

On the other hand, I think it's great that interest is building in mechanical watches, both modern and vintage.

Article: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-10/neiman-marcus-now-sells-vintage-watches-offers-unusual-trade-in-program

Quote Originally Posted by Imitation of Life View Post

A lingering fear of mine, however, is that the fad does stick around (is it a fad, then?!) and drives the price of certain vintage watches up even more.
    I'm under the impression that this is already happening, at least, for the last year or so. I've no statistics to support my statement, though.
    Last edited by CFR; Apr 11, 2015 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    I'm under the impression that this is already happening, at least, for the last year or so.
    True. But I mean even more.

Maybe. At least, until people realize that they'll be unable to get some of these watches serviced in a few years time.But this may be the cynic in me talking...
    I'm thinking on an Omega cal 321, for example...oh, and we're going to see more and more restored dials and franken pieces
    Last edited by CFR; Apr 11, 2015 at 04:20 AM.

5. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Maybe. At least, until people realize that they'll be unable to get some of these watches serviced in a few years time.But this may be the cynic in me talking...
    I'm thinking on an Omega cal 321, for example...oh, and we're going to see more and more restored dials and franken pieces
    ^ This. Once people (hipsters, especially) realize the maintenance involved in vintage watches, they'll drop them like hot potatoes. Unfortunately, most of these watches may end up in sock drawers, or otherwise unavailable to collectors who can really appreciate them.

~S.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

7. Likes CFR, hayday, FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Unfortunately, most of these watches may end up in sock drawers, or otherwise unavailable to collectors who can really appreciate them.

~S.
    I agree, Sherry.

I'm (re)evaluating future acquisitions, taking into consideration this new (expected) scenario

9. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    ^ This. Once people (hipsters, especially) realize the maintenance involved in vintage watches, they'll drop them like hot potatoes. Unfortunately, most of these watches may end up in sock drawers, or otherwise unavailable to collectors who can really appreciate them.
    This would be true, if hipsters actually cared if their watches were in working order. They're fashion statements, and nothing more.

There is another sign: some reputable brands, conscient of this - let's call it - trend, have already brought to the market their own original vintages properly restored and ready to be sold in their own boutiques - example: VC. Better not to ask the prices, though

Just think of all the poor confused watch kiosk employees at the mall when the hipsters bring in their vintage watches for new batteries...

Off topic a bit, but I was surprised to see our local Macy's selling automatic watches (Tissot, Hamilton, Montblanc), which I do not recall seeing before at this location.