Likes Likes:  48
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A stop by the Apple store today ... your opinions?

A stop by the Apple store today ... your opinions?

My first look and touch:

I had actually gone to Oak Brook Mall to visit the Omega store, but after doing what I had to do there, my wife and I went for a walk around the very nice outdoor mall. We came across the Apple Store, so I went in. It was pretty busy, but I could get to the display where they had a couple dozen Apple watches under glass, all running demo software. While looking at the display case, a fellow (another customer) across the case pointed to my Speedy Broad Arrow, and said "you actually gonna wear one of these instead of your Omega?" Well ... no, actually. I like what I do wear too much to wear the AW other than once in a while. But I do have to say, I was impressed. I was told somebody could let me try some on in about ten minutes. So we waited.

Here are a few impressions:

First, the 38mm size IS really a ladies size; even for a smaller guy like me, the 42mm size is pretty much necessary.

The band I thought I'd prefer IS the one I prefer; the Milanese bracelet, which fortunately is one of the less expensive options ($150). I much preferred it to the link bracelet at $400 or the leather options, most of which were in the $300 range.

So, $599 for the watch, an additional $150 for the Milanese. $750 plus tax. (Would I sooner buy this than, for instance, a Max Bill quartz? Hmmm....)

The quality seems really nice. Apple (or whoever actually makes them) did a fine job. It feels solid and expensive. They claim 18 hours between charges under normal use which, if true, is just about enough. (I charge my phone and my tablet at night, so....)

I don't think I'd wear the sport version, but at $400 or so, it might be attractive to a younger audience. (Oh, did I mention? I AM an older audience.)

I was impressed by the Apple Watch. It looked and felt really good, and does lots of very interesting things, but I can't see myself wearing one regularly. I'd miss wearing a REAL watch, but it certainly has its appeal, and I think it will do pretty well, though not too many serious watch aficionados will leave their automatics home on winders while sporting one of these. But I do think the mid-price quartzmakers should be prepared for some serious competition.

Those of you who've seen and worn the AW ... What do YOU think?
    Last edited by dbakiva; Apr 14, 2015 at 11:55 AM.
    Updated after some divestment:

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date (GONE) | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow (GONE - turns out I don’t much care for chronographs) | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR | Meistersinger Metris | Apple Watch

2. Likes OhDark30, N/A liked this post
    I saw only at my Apple store and thought it looked well made too, but it has no soul that talks to me....
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

It's a small computer that happens to have a wrist band. I have one in the form of a home computer one in the form of a laptop one in the form of a phone.... sorry don't consider it a "watch" don't need it don't want it

5. Likes scottjc liked this post
    I think they're moderately nice, felt just like my iphone but for my wrist. The only problem is I don't see the point in only occasionally wearing one, and I wouldn't want to only wear an apple watch, so I didn't buy it....Maybe I'll be a baller and wear my Seiko AND an apple watch?

If I were to wear one, that would be the only option

Pics pls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current and Collection:
    Rolex Submariner No-Date Ceramic, Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Datejust II, Rolex Milgauss ZBlue, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Tudor Hydonaut, Tudor Blackbay, Tudor Pelagos

I understand the resistance to the Apple Watch and the sentiment that if the iPhone works best in the pocket there is little reason to strap it on your wrist. The old ways are always the best ways. I feel the same way about the 1926 Ball-Hamilton currently snugly tucked into the 5th pocket of my 501's. My iPhone is actually OUT of my pocket at the moment - I'm streaming the final NCAA Hockey game and marvelling at the All East finish.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Quote Originally Posted by dbakiva View Post
    My first look and touch:
    While looking at the display case, a fellow (another customer) across the case pointed to my Speedy Broad Arrow, and said "you actually gonna wear one of these instead to your Omega?" Well ... no, actually.
    Umm...if you change your mind, I'll take your Broad Arrow in a heartbeat You wouldn't even have to twist my arm...

11. Likes dbakiva liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Umm...if you change your mind, I'll take your Broad Arrow in a heartbeat You wouldn't even have to twist my arm...
    I think that's the reason I won't buy one anytime soon. As much as it appeals to me, I have no intention of leaving one of my dear old friends home to take up with this wrist harlot.
    Updated after some divestment:

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date (GONE) | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow (GONE - turns out I don’t much care for chronographs) | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR | Meistersinger Metris | Apple Watch

13. Likes OhDark30, scottjc, rfortson liked this post
    I like them much more than I though I would, from what I've seen so far. I still don't want one (yet?) though. I'd spend the money on other, not smart, watches first.