Likes Likes:  53
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clever ad by Shinola

Clever ad by Shinola

Even though up until yesterday I didn't know the difference between Shinola and, oh I don't know, something that isn't a Detroit start up watch company named after a forties boot polish, but right now I'm considering a very rare brand new watch purchase, and on the basis of nothing more than a newspaper advert I read on the train back from London yesterday.

Fortunately there's a copy on the web, here:

http://fortune.com/2015/04/10/shinola-apple-watch/

I'd call that a timely bit of genius and well worth encouraging.

So, does anyone actually know anything about the watches rather than the advert?

*EDIT*

Bloody Hell! that's one that slipped under the radar, I'm not even American and I felt a little rush of pride at what these chaps, probably guys actually, are up to. It's at worst very clever timely marketing and at best something a bit special to be rather proud of.

http://www.shinola.co.uk/shop/watche...e/450-600.html
    Last edited by Matt; Apr 11, 2015 at 10:33 PM.

but right now I'm considering a very rare brand new watch purchase
    Are you feeling quite alright poppet ? , I'm worried about you now

3. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Are you feeling quite alright poppet ? , I'm worried about you now
    Don't worry,I'm cured, I just discovered that their smallest man's watch is 47mm! . Mind you I am terribly impressed too!

I've actually misread the statement....
    I thought you were thinking of a new (and quite rare) watch purchase, not a rare (for you) new watch purchase.

6. Likes Matt liked this post
    It is a good promo, but bummer on the case size.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Wow they are that big? Bring down the size and make a USA in house movement and I'll be on board!

I posted on Shinola before. A friend at work has one of these and it is huge. http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...igan&highlight=

Their advertising copy proudly proclaims "Movements handmade in USA from 'over 4 dozen Swiss parts"

I have asked before, S**t or Shinola?
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

10. Likes Matt liked this post
    Swiss quartz movements and Chinese made cases and components assembled in Detroit....very misleading advertising trying to give the impression that it is a USA made watch. A lot of people are falling for this misdirection...but at the end of the day, you end up with a quartz movement and Chinese parts for more than a decent mechanical movement JDM Seiko. Color me not impressed at all.

12. Likes Matt, Chase liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    Their advertising copy proudly proclaims "Movements handmade in USA from 'over 4 dozen Swiss parts"

I have asked before, S**t or Shinola?
    Both.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Swiss quartz movements and Chinese made cases and components assembled in Detroit....very misleading advertising trying to give the impression that it is a USA made watch. A lot of people are falling for this misdirection...but at the end of the day, you end up with a quartz movement and Chinese parts for more than a decent mechanical movement JDM Seiko. Color me not impressed at all.
    Considering the movement can be bought brand new from O. Frei for all of $15 even when it is made by real Swiss elves and the rest is pretty much Chinese parts, that $500 asking price pays for a whole lot of advertising.

14. Likes wschofield3, Henry Krinkle, OhDark30 liked this post
    Here's my post in 'affordables' with the link inside from the guy who actually visited the facility, observed the assembling processes and shared some facts and thoughts on how much manufacturing and how much advertising in their watches.

http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...t-Is-it-really

From my visit to the Big Shiny store: their watches look OK, quite expensive and come in all different shapes, kinds and sizes...

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.