So this is it, folks Rolex’s big release for 2019. It’s just another two-tone Rolex, I hear you say. Yes, it is but it is so much more.

Firstly, there has never been a two-tone Sea-Dweller; a two-tone Submariner, yes but never a Sea-Dweller and what’s more this 1220m water-resistant, two-tone beauty is based on a 43mm Oyster case. I think I might just have met my new grail watch!

Meet the new 2019 Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sea-Dweller in a Yellow Rolesor, combining Oystersteel and 18ct Yellow Gold.

The new model brings 18ct Yellow Gold to the Sea-Dweller family for the first time. Rolesor BTW is a combination of gold and steel on a Rolex watch, a signature feature of the brand since 1933.

The new yellow Rolesor version of the Sea-Dweller’s: bezel, winding crown and bracelet center-links are made from 18ct Yellow Gold, while the main case and outer links of the bracelet are in Oystersteel.

Its black dial proudly bears the Sea-Dweller name printed in a golden yellow, echoing the color of its 18ct Yellow Gold external components.

When the Sea-Dweller was fully updated in 2017, it got the famous red text, referencing the original model.

If it had been used again in this instance, it might have been overkill; as we well know Rolex is all about subtlety.

However the rest of the watch’s diving specifications are very much on par with the latest and greatest Sea-Dweller.

The Sea-Dweller Yellow Rolesor’s 43mm Oyster case is equipped with a unidirectional rotational bezel with a 60-min graduated Cerachrom insert in black ceramic.

The graduation scale’s markers and numerals have been recessed and coated with Yellow Gold using PVD (Physical Vapour Deposition).

The new S-D has a guaranteed water-resistance to a depth of 1220 meters with its mid-case constructed from a solid block of highly corrosion-resistant, Oystersteel.

Its coin-edged case-back has been hermetically screwed-down with a specific tool that only allows Rolex watchmakers to access the movement.

Its crown is fitted with Rolex’s Triplock triple water-resistance system, and sits securely against the case while protected by an integrated crown-guard.

The crystal is made of virtually scratchproof Sapphire crystal but I’m sorry to say folks; comes with a Cyclops lens at 3 o’clock.

Personally, I can live with the Cyclops – I kinda’ see it as another toolish element of this toolish watch but I understand that for many it’s a blot on the landscape.

As this is a Sea-Dweller, the watch case is of course fitted with an automatic Helium Escape Valve, a model specific hallmark going several decades to 1967 when it was patented by Rolex.

Like all Rolex watches, this new Sea-Dweller carries the Superlative Chronometer certification.

In this instance it is powered by Rolex’s latest generation movement, the caliber 3235 with 70hrs of power-reserve.

Thoughts? This thing is sexy. I was close to pulling the trigger on a two-tone Sub last year but it was just too small.

I like the bigger size of the S-D, its HEV and the increased water-resistance. Combine thse with the bling of the gold and hooked. What do you think?

More...