Pulling inspiration from Seiko’s legendary hi-beat diver produced all the way back in 1968, Seiko’s newest Prospex LX line continues the ethos set forth half a century ago. Of course, Seiko is not one to rest on their laurels, so they’ve teamed up with Ken Okuyama Design, best known for their work in the automotive industry, to infuse the collection with a modern, sporty flavor while still ensuring Seiko’s iconic DNA remains intact. Most exciting is that this entire line comes equipped with Seiko’s 5R Spring Drive caliber, which today is generally relegated to Seiko’s Grand Seiko and Credor ranges.*
All the watches in this first collection are themed around land, sea, or sky. Land has a GMT complication and compass bezel; sky has a GMT hand and a bi-directional bezel for tracking an additional timezone; and sea features a uni-directional diving bezel.*
There are six references in the collection, and all six are rendered in titanium and are Zaratsu polished. There are three distinct designs, and the other three are basically clones, but rendered in a tactical monochromatic color-way and finished with a “black super-hard” coating.*

Ref. SNR025 and SNR027

Case Material: Titanium; titanium with super-hard black coating
Dial: Black
Dimensions: 44.8mm x 14.7mm
Crystal: Sapphire
Water resistance: 20 bar
Crown: Screw down
Movement: Spring Drive GMT 5R66
Strap/bracelet: Titanium bracelet; calf strap
Price: $5,000
Expected release: July 2019

Ref. SNR029 and SNR031

Dial: Black
Dimensions: 44.8mm x 15.7mm
Water resistance: 30 bar
Movement: Spring Drive 5R65
Strap/bracelet: Titanium bracelet; silicone
Price: $6,000

Ref. SNR033 and SNR035

Dial: Blue; black
Dimensions: 44.8mm x 14.7mm
Water resistance: 10 bar
Movement: Spring Drive GMT 5R66
Strap/bracelet: Titanium bracelet; crocodile strap
Price: $5,500

Overall, I like the look of these watches, and I think Seiko did a great job at differentiating each model around a thematic idea.*Ref.*SNR033 is especially pretty, and as far as functionality goes, it’s the clear winner in my book with a perfect mix of specs.*One point of curiosity is the differing water resistance ratings between the three primary models, which all seam to share a similar case as far as basic construction goes.
The Prospex LX collection is an interesting trajectory for the Prospex family, continuing the trend started by the limited edition heritage releases of the last couple of years. These are high-end watches boasting incredible movements, excellent finishing, and, truth be told, I’d argue that it’s a shame Seiko didn’t include these under the Grand Seiko banner. Stay tuned for additional coverage and live pics.*Seiko

The post Baselworld 2019: Introducing Seiko’s Prospex LX Collection, Tool Watches for Land, Sea, and Sky appeared first on Worn & Wound.

More...