Likes Likes:  85
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something like a Seiko SARB035...

Something like a Seiko SARB035...

One of the gaps I've never filed in my collection is what I've come to think of as the Datejust gap. What I'm talking about here is a watch on a bracelet that's kind of dressy but okay for with jeans too. A watch that isn't sporty at all and in some ways is kind of square, a watch your 60 year old retired uncle would where.
    If I had the funds I probably would just get a DJ and be done with it,

(stolen pic)

But I don't.

The watch I've looked at in the past that fits this gap for me has been the Seiko SARB035. It ticks all the boxes - right sort of look (for some reason I've always visualised this kind of watch with a white or cream face), decent bracelet, good heritage, good size for me (37mm), good price, but something has always held me back... maybe it's the thickness (11.2mm), which is a little more than I'd like (although actually it turns out the DJ is 11.7, so maybe that's an invalid concern), or maybe its the fact that the dial is a bit too plain, apart from that over-engineered chapter ring.

(stolen pic)

So, any thoughts or recommendations? Should I go for the Seiko or keep looking?
    My requirements are, aside from the look are:
    Pale face
    Bracelet
    34-38mm diameter
    Sapphire crystal
    Auto
    About $500/£350

Thank you
    Last edited by whatmeworry; Apr 13, 2015 at 10:33 AM.

Seiko - I don't think there are (m)any other options, and that's lovely.

3. Likes whatmeworry, Domo, JAGtime liked this post
    I got this Orient for less than $150 on clearance.. (forgot the model number)
    it is 38mm, sapphire, solid bracelet... but the movement doeesnt hack hand wind so might be a deal breaker for you... superbly accurate to within a couple of seconds/day though..
    on its bracellet and on leather.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

5. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    I got this Orient for less than $150 on clearance.. (forgot the model number)
    it is 38mm, sapphire, solid bracelet... but the movement doeesnt hack hand wind so might be a deal breaker for you... superbly accurate to within a couple of seconds/day though..
    on its bracellet and on leather.
    That's certainly an option! Thanks, I'll have a hunt for it

7. Likes iyonk liked this post
    The smart daily wearer at that kind of price is a huge gap in the market, even when looking up to 42mm. I've peered into it many times, trying to find the same (but with a black dial)

For that kind of money you could find a minty Seiko from the late sixties of a higher grade than the SARB

How about a Certina DS Caimano? 38mm, available silver, numerals at 12 3 9, date at 6, 10.4mm thick

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    How about a Certina DS Caimano? 38mm, available silver, numerals at 12 3 9, date at 6, 10.4mm thick
    Here's it being sold for £326
    http://www.anytimewatches.com/en/cer...FezHtAodoHwAcg

On paper that ticks all the boxes, but it just doesn't excite me

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    On paper that ticks all the boxes, but it just doesn't excite me
    Yeah me neither

Bit prissy isn't it?

Yeah me neither

Bit prissy isn't it?
    Lol. Yes.

While I'm on the Certina site, this is 38mm too, though I suspect it's more expensive