Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IWC? Pilot?

IWC? Pilot?

What and why is your favorite IWC Pilot?

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

I was looking at the 39mm Mark XVI, 40mm Mark XVIII, and the 41mm Mark XVII.

I bought the 17. I prefer the dial layout of the 16/17, without the 3,6,9,12. I would prefer no date, but of the 16 and 17, I like the 17. The red triangle adds a small splash of color and I'm likely one of the few that likes the open/alt style date. The bracelet on the 17/18 is brilliant. Small links that hug the wrist and can be removed with a toothpick topped with a clasp with an amazing micro adjust.

-- Wayne
    Last edited by happyscrappyheropup; Mar 24, 2019 at 12:06 PM.

Simple, with a bit of heritage for me. The pilot watches have a dual heritage - the RAF and the Luftwaffe. The Luftwaffe heritage can be seen in the Big Pilot models, but they’re too big.

That leaves -

Name:  90495D4C-81F7-4590-AA8B-C86079A1DFBE.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  CD813C7F-BC53-493A-9B87-245F0F7397A9.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  39.7 KB

The Mark XVIII can trace its roots back to the iconic Mark 11 of 1948, which was commissioned (and designed) by the British Ministry of Defence for the RAF. The main stylistic difference is that it has German style ‘flieger’ hands, probably because most potential customers prefer them to the original hands.

The Spitfire model has a dial that is a little closer to the Mk11, but also has flieger hands. The Spitfire connection is also a little tenuous.

Of the two, I’d take the Mark XVIII. It’s an honest, clean update of the classic style.

Of other models, I’ll confess a bias and say that I couldn’t wear something called Top Gun. Some of the chronographs are attractive but I’d prefer a three-hander.

As regular readers won’t be surprised to hear, I prefer the look of the $600 MkII Hawkinge to either of the IWCs above (closer to the Mark 11), but I’d happily acknowledge that a Seiko-powered MkII isn’t an IWC...

4. Likes hayday liked this post
    I find Mark XVI appealing, available pre-owned around 2.2 - 2.5 k€. Basic pilot looks at reasonable size.

6. Likes Seriously, hayday, CFR liked this post
    The 3717. Classic pilot design and perfect size. It's the longest watch I have owned in my collection.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Richard

8. Likes hayday, Fantasio, Raza liked this post
    Is their 3 dial, 12 hour, chronograph movement a Valjoux 7750 at heart?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post

Yes. I think IWC used to modify the 2892 and 7750 to their specs, but ETA integrated the IWC changes and now supplies IWC with complete movements to their specs.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    IWC recently went inhouse with their new pilot line. I'm strongly considering traded my 3717 for the 397903. I'm just not feeling the faux patina. We shall see.

Cheers,

Richard

Is it the 79320 Calibre?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    IWC recently went inhouse with their new pilot line. I'm strongly considering traded my 3717 for the 397903. I'm just not feeling the faux patina. We shall see.

Disregard, it's this one

69380 Calibre
    IWC-manufactured movement

14. Likes Cybotron liked this post