Squale is continuing to add to its line up of divers based on the original Squale Master divers of the 1960s. Last year, we got the gorgeous Squale-Matic, which was a nice update to the standard 1521 model. But this year, Squale is upping their game with the release of the new T183 diver. The T183 retains the classic Master/1521 case shape, but instead of steel, this time they are going with an innovative layered carbon fiber and fiberglass mix that, to my eye, looks really damn cool.

Squale T183

Case Material: Layered Carbon Fiber/Fiberglass
Dial: Black or Gray
Dimensions: 42mm
Lugs: 20mm
Crystal: Sapphire with AR coating
Water Resistance: 600m
Crown: Screw down
Movement: Sellita SW 200
Strap: Ballistic fiber
Price: ~$1,200

The T183 will be available in three different case colors: red/black, blue/black, and black/gray. The layering of the carbon and fiberglass gives the case a striped look, and the effect is quite striking. I can usually take or leave carbon cases, but this layered look is something I haven’t seen before, and I like what it does here. The weight is light-ish —*not as light as you might expect from carbon, but obviously lighter than metal. The bezel is done in ceramic with a Super-LumiNova triangle at 12:00.

The dial color is black for the red and blue cases, and gray for the black case, and features painted lume indices. While I love the applied steel hour markers of the Squale-Matic, I feel that the painted lume paired with a matte black dial really works with this case material. Squale has fortunately kept the long-standard 42mm case size, as well as the sapphire crystal and screw down crown.

Powering the T183 is a*Sellita SW200, essentially a drop in for the 2824. The T183 will come with a ballistic fiber strap made of the same material used in bullet-proof vests with colors matching the case color.

Squale has done a great job of offering a new and innovative addition to their diver line with the T183. The layered carbon/glass fiber case looks and feels amazing, and the matte black dial and ballistic material strap round out the look. Overall, the T183 looks to be a great addition to a classic line of vintage-inspired divers, and I think this may be a sleeper hit at Baselworld this year.*Squale

Images from this post:

The post Baselworld 2019: First Look at the Squale T183 Diver appeared first on Worn & Wound.

More...