Tavannes retrace their roots with an interesting new wristwatch inspired by a WWI military watch that was commissioned by two British submarine commanders.

The Submarine Commander Collection is the revival of the first advertised waterproof watch of Tavannes Watch Co.

The watch was required to be: water-tight, non-magnetic, and the balance wheel had to be of a material that shows a minimum of expansion and contraction with variations in temperature.

The face also had to be legible at all times, the result a watch, a very cool early naval watch that today has been revived in the form of the Tavannes Submarine Commander.

Three versions are available; well, one (the anniversary LE) is sold out but two remain; the Submarine Commander and Submarine Commander Black Edition with its black PVD case.

Basic spec. includes a 41mm Stainless steel case which is water-resistant to 100m and is fitted with a Sapphire crystal and a Swiss made ETA 2824-2 STD automatic movement.

MSRP is 2750USD Black Edition / 2500 Steel.

Thoughts? I want to like this a lot more than I do; it is a really cool piece but I think the dial is overly disrupted by the logo. Besides I have a HYDROGRAPHER on the way! ;)

More...