Likes Likes:  23

Thread: Great Watch Stories

Great Watch Stories

Col Angus's Breitling post reminded me how all of us have a few or more great watch stories. I think we need a thread of these. It may be finding a lost watch, a great hunt for a watch we've always wanted, a watch that has special meaning to us...anything that has a story. I know Alan has a great one he has shared about the JLC Memovox in his collection and I guess we can link Col Angus's thread here?

I'll start with one of mine that I believe I've shared before here that is somewhat similar to the Col Angus's. About five or six years ago my G-Shock Riseman Solar/Atomic went missing. I looked everywhere for it, asked at lost and founds at any place I thought I might have worn it to with nothing coming back. I had written it off as missing with no hope of ever finding it. About two years or so after this I was up on the roof of my garage trimming some of the taller branches from one of our trees that were hitting our home. I climbed up the ladder from the one side of the garage and walked over the peak of the roof to the other side. I leaned over the edge where my wife handed me the branch trimmer she was using to trim some of the other branches on the trees. When I stood back up with the trimmer in hand I was facing towards the peak of the garage roof. Our home is L shaped with the garage having a one-story roof and the rest of the house with a two-story roof that can be easily reached from the peak of the garage roof. A bird of something flew right by me close enough that had I moved fast enough I might have been able to touch it. This caused me to follow it with my eyes up and over the second story roof of the main part of our house. They vent the drains in the house by bringing pipes up through the roof so they are much higher than any other point of the pipe so everything flows down. Around one of these pipes, I saw something black wrapped around it. Initially, I did not give it much thought just to go look at it later. I did my tree trimming, threw off the cut branches, and then handed my wife back the trimmers. As I was walking back to the other side of the garage I looked up at the pipe again on the other roof. As I drew closer I could see it was not just a paint strip but something else. A few steps more I could see it had some red and silver elements and appeared to be on a strap. Now just a few feet away there was my Riseman strapped to the pipe. For a few seconds, I was confused and then it all came rushing back to me how it got there. Over two years ago I was up on the roof painting the window shutter on a really hot day. I started to wonder how hot it really was up there since the roof is a nearly white shade of grey concrete tile. For rougher household work projects I usually would wear the Riseman. The Riseman has a thermometer built in, but you must remove the watch from your wrist for it to read the ambient temperature via the case back. I took it off to read the temperature which generally takes a few minutes to start working. I strapped it to the pipe since it kept sliding down the roof when I just tried setting it on the tile. Just as I had finished painting a storm came up so I rushed to get the paint stuff and myself off of the roof in a lightning storm forgetting about the watch. Since I had finished painting the shutter I had no reason to go back up there. With all the other tasks of the day taking over and I completely forgot about where I had left the watch even when I realized it was missing a few days from then. I must have been convinced it came back down with me from the roof. The good news was that the watch held up well in the sun for at least two years so it still looked OK. Since it was atomic and solar the time was spot on after I shook it while unstrapping it from the pipe. It was very dirty and slimy so it took a bit of scrubbing to wash off. Having survived it's extended weather test like a champ, I realized it must have also survived the roof being pressure cleaned nearly a year after I left it up there. I guess they did not see it there? It has been in my weekend rotation since I got it back if rough tasks are on the menu.
    Last edited by Samanator; Mar 28, 2019 at 07:13 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

I guess my two would be the origin story of my birth year IWC, and the more recent story of the Credor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I guess my two would be the origin story of my birth year IWC, and the more recent story of the Credor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We need links?
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

4. Likes Col Angus liked this post
    An great idea and an awesome story as well. One question remains though, what was the temperature?

Here's a link to my story.

http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...e-Garage-Find!

A few years ago, our family did a Caribbean cruise with a stop in the Virgin Islands. We disembarked the boat with no real plan other than to walk around and see the sights. Upon walking up the hill from the docks to the beginning of "tourist town," I spied a watch shop; Little Switzerland. My wife saw the look in my eyes and said we could go in for a few minutes. There were so many watches it was a little overwhelming. Within a few seconds, a sales rep called to me from behind his counter and asked me if there was something I wanted to see. I froze. It was a moment of pure panic. I had every watch at my disposal, yet I couldn't make my mouth work. Without even realizing what I was doing, I heard my voice say, "Do you have have the Longines Master Collection Retrograde? The white dial." I had seen this watch in an advert and remember spending seemingly hours staring at it. There were so many dials, including four retrograde dials. Before realizing that that was me who had spoken, the guy said he'll be right back and walked away. I didn't dare look in Kelly's direction. I didn't need to because I knew exactly how her face looked. Our kids were, roughly, 11 and 14. It was hot, and this was NOT how she wanted to spend her vacation. So, the guy comes back and tells me they only had the black dial. He shows it to me and I fell smitten. I tried it on and just stared at my wrist. After an unknown length of time, I hear my wife heartily sigh and say, "What if I just buy it," and reach into her bag for her wallet. I was stunned, but I remember my face twisting into a smile so big it still hurts to think about it. I don't remember much about the minutes that immediately followed, but I do remember the sales guy handing me a beer and saying I was a lucky man. Side note: yeah, no shit! Anyway, I don't think her actions were completely altruistic. I think she just wanted to get on with the rest of the trip and figured that would be the fastest way to make it happen.

I spent the rest of the day with an expensive watch in my bag, a huge grin on my face and a trail of people wondering why I was smiling like that.

Name:  Longines Master.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  Longines Master2.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  41.0 KB
    Last edited by hayday; Mar 28, 2019 at 10:32 PM.
    The pessimist says it can't get any worse while the optimist says it can.

8. Likes alpharulez, Col Angus, synequano liked this post