Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's torture.

It's torture.

This was delivered to my house earlier this morning. Vintage 1973. The result of a successful eBay bid this past weekend.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck at work, where I'm dealing with unresponsive customers and a computer that's so tied up in knots, it won't shut down even by most normal and semi-normal methods. I've decided to break for lunch. If my computer hasn't unsnarled it's logic circuits by the time I get back, I might just have to call it a day.

2. Likes geoffbot, CFR, Raza, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    At least you have something to look forward to after the bad day.

Good looking Bulova! Those case bevels look good in that picture.

Could be worse - the unresponsive customers could be responding with annoying requests, and you could've had an undeliverable note and had to drive 10 miles in bad traffic after work. I'm a glass is half full kinda guy.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

5. Likes Mystic Nerd liked this post

It's torture.

Thanks, friends! I survived the workday.

The watch looks better in my hand than it did in the eBay photos. Seller says it runs well, but he ships without battery (reason not given). So I won't see it run until my ordered Renata gets here in a few days.

And I need a proper strap or bracelet for it. 19 mm. The provided bracelet is 17 mm, too small.

Help me please - will a 20 mm leather strap work ok? I've seen suggestions that it would. There's more variety available in that size. I have new 19 mm pins available which I'd use if buying a 20 mm strap.
    Last edited by Mystic Nerd; Mar 29, 2019 at 10:31 AM.

7. Likes Col Angus, geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Nerd View Post
    but he ships without battery (reason not given).
    I don't know where you are , or where the watch is coming from, but if it's uk then he's probably read too deeply into the fact they won't ship products with certain battery chemistry's in.

And I need a proper strap or bracelet for it. 19 mm.

Help me please - will a 20 mm leather strap work ok? I've seen suggestions that it would. There's more variety available in that size. I have new 19 mm pins available which I'd use if buying a 20 mm strap.
    With some straps you may be able to squeeze it between the lugs, but watch out that you ensure the pins are firmly locked into place at either end cos the squeezed in strap may well impede free movement of the springloaded end pins.
    You could always cut a 1/2 mm notch off each side , or taper cut it to gradually bring it down to 19mm, depends on the strap construction as to whether it'll show or not I guess.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

9. Likes Mystic Nerd liked this post

We need more pics of the watch....

11. Likes Col Angus liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Nerd View Post
    Thanks, friends! I survived the workday.

The watch looks better in my hand than it did in the eBay photos. Seller says it runs well, but he ships without battery (reason not given). So I won't see it run until my ordered Renata gets here in a few days.

And I need a proper strap or bracelet for it. 19 mm. The provided bracelet is 17 mm, too small.

Generally, yes, a soft, pliable 20mm leather will fit into 19mm lugs. Nothing too thick, though. Like, a Hirsch Liberty would be a tight fit. Only issue is that if the strap compresses for any reason, it tends to take the springbar shoulders with them. I personally wouldn't do it.

Good looking watch, by the way.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Was it expensive the have someone sabotage your computer so you could quit early?

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

14. Likes Raza, Mystic Nerd liked this post

It's torture.

Quote Originally Posted by ck1109 View Post

We need more pics of the watch....
    Sorry about that. I was a bit busy yesterday evening, putting a much younger Bulova on this new Chinese ion plated bracelet.

Accuquartz not yet running (needs battery), and no correct strap in my possession yet - pics when it's a bit more ready!

Last edited by Mystic Nerd; Mar 29, 2019 at 03:43 PM.

16. Likes synequano, Col Angus, geoffbot, mlcor, CFR liked this post
    You can get 19mm bands here.
    https://www.bandrbands.com/19mm-watch-bands.aspx

I got one for my vintage Seiko. It's a nice strap, but the tang comes undone so easily that I dropped the watch on the floor putting a slight crack in the acrylic crystal . To be fair, I hadn't had my coffee yet and was half awake. It is my habit to immediately put a watch on when waking up.