Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Then and Now

Then and Now

How much has your collection changed throughout the years? Did it change at all?

For me no more watches larger than 42mm. My sweet spot seems to be 40mm-42mm. I'm also not a fan of thick watches and prefer nothing thicker than 13mm.

No more Bronze, PVD, or DLC type of watches. I've owned several and they never stick around. No more red dials or funky dial colors. Been there done that.

I am also a fan of titanium now.

I'm a fan of bracelets now. In the past all my watches were on straps. I will not buy any watches with integrated lugs anymore.

I have also consolidated my collection with less watches these days. As I get older I will consolidate to even less.

What about you?
    Last edited by Cybotron; Mar 28, 2019 at 09:53 PM.
    Cheers,

Richard

2. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Back then, I had two or three watches.
    I wore the same watch every day.
    Now I have dozens.
    Am I doing this right?
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

That's the way I've always done it, too.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

5. Likes Cybotron, skywatch liked this post
    Nowadays I prefer watches that are comfortable and light....

Few years ago I was crazy about SS panerai,but after I got the titanium watch,I rarely wear my SS watches as I do find titanium to be comfier especially on larger pieces

My current daily wearer is only around 90-100 grams even though it’s 47mm in diameter...

7. Likes Cybotron liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    Nowadays I prefer watches that are comfortable and light....

Few years ago I was crazy about SS panerai,but after I got the titanium watch,I rarely wear my SS watches as I do find titanium to be comfier especially on larger pieces

My current daily wearer is only around 90-100 grams even though it’s 47mm in diameter...
    47mm fits you good.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Richard

9. Likes synequano liked this post
    Funny thing is,my wrist is just 6.5-6.75 inch,which is considered mathematically impossible to wear 47mm watch....

11. Likes Cybotron liked this post
    I'm feeling almost embarrassed, because the type of watch that appealed to me the most four decades back, is still the type I keep looking for. Sure, my tastes have broaden, but their basic structure seems to be more or less the same. Monotonous, I know.

13. Likes Cybotron, JAGtime liked this post
    Name:  E3CAF88A-C4DA-491F-B307-9F68601BABFA.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  26.3 KB

15. Likes Seriously, mlcor, Cybotron, JAGtime, synequano liked this post
    I'm on the 'less is more' road nowadays:
    Smaller <= 40mm - My 42mm+ days are behind me. The one regular exception being my Casio MDV106 weekend warrior (I don't like the term 'beater'). The larger watches that I do have only come out once in a while for the change/novelty factor.
    Lighter: Kind of goes with the territory of smaller diameters. I'm no longer of the mindset 'Bracelet or nothing', so straps save a bit of weight too. My Aerospace is king of the castle in this department. Ironically purchased when I was very much in my bigger is better phase.
    Thinner ...
    Name:  thinnercurse.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  38.1 KB

... Sorry.

Back on track: I've grown a dislike for watches that 'stand up' on the wrist, and I'm now wary of anything more than 12mm unless I can try it on first. But having said that - it depends on the case shape & size: e.g. I took a chance and bought Kath's Zeno Explorer untried (I had a few quid burning a hole in my pocket !): It's 14.2mm but it wears as low as many thinner watches because it sits nicely in the hollow of my wrist.

I'm not really bothered about dive watches any more, when a few years back that's pretty much all I would consider; though I do insist on decent WR of 100M or more as I don't want to be worrying about somewhere safe to leave 'it' if I go for a dip.
    My basic format requirement hasn't changed at all: Still want a simple 3-hander, with good contrast, and (ideally) a decent application of lume. As always with rules, there are exceptions to these rules and the Smiths Air Ministry is a prime example: No lume, but who cares ?... it's such a good looking little thing (IMO) that I can forgo the lume.

I try to guide myself with these numbers, but until I get 'it' on my wrist I just don't know if it'll 'work' or not.
    I've bought several that I absolutely loved the look of, but put them on and went "Nah!": Smiths PRS-37, Smiths PRS-25, Gerlach P24. Conversely, I've bought some on a whim thinking I'll just sell it on; and been knocked out by them: The Smiths PRS-29B & Zeno Explorer being prime examples - love 'em.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

17. Likes Cybotron liked this post
    I have a curve like Alan's graph, only the right end isn't as low...

I've learned a lot about watches and what I like over the years, going from a couple of solar powered Citizens to full-fledged mechanical madness. My collection (as most of you know) is shrinking in number, as I've focused on fewer watches that I really like, plus some less expensive ones that are fun to wear once every month or so. I've definitely gravitated towards 39-41mm as the perfect size, although I have gone a bit smaller for vintage stuff, and 42mm is OK for some things. I've always had a sensitivity to watches that were too thick to fit under a shirt cuff, since I used to wear long sleeve dress shirts every day.

19. Likes Cybotron, JAGtime liked this post