Likes Likes:  31
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two questionable decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    My mom just got a Shark upright. It's nice and light and easy for her to deal with. But you can't beat a Dyson for sheer power.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

2. Likes ljb187 liked this post

Two questionable decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Berrnard View Post
    you have a weird definition of inappropriate....
    Yeah...I know...but on a forum I figured you never know. As for the vacuum, I skipped over that fearing it would start one of those Dyson vs Shark wars but I see I'm too late.

I hate our Dyson by the way. It's like a giant Transformers toy...every time I use it one of those plastic modules fall off..

Also:: Shop-Vac is one of the 10 greatest inventions in history.
    Last edited by ljb187; Apr 16, 2015 at 04:53 PM.

When I was buying a vacuum I took a lot of notice of their weights. My Hoover might have a crappy bag but I can hold it in one hand without my arm dropping off. I equivalent Dyson was at least 50% heavier. At that difference I found I couldn't care less sucking or bags or anything else

This is like watching the "Shopping Channel".....
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

6. Likes OhDark30, Donf, Henry Krinkle, ljb187 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Agree about the shop vac. Ranks right up there with the wheel and well above the internet.

As far as Shark vs Dyson, I bought the Shark for three reasons: cheaper, lighter (12 lbs vs 18), and lift off canister that allows me to break the unit apart and carry it around. That's an awesome convenience and would have been enough reason by itself.

I've heard great things about Dyson too.

Jeannie
    Last edited by Jeannie; Apr 16, 2015 at 05:31 PM.
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

8. Likes ljb187 liked this post
    Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Glad to hear that some others have had a bad experience with Dyson. My ex-wife wanted one for years and when we finally got it, it was beyond disappointing. Really poor on deep pile carpet, couldn't use it on the hardwoods because it left scuffs behind, and bits were constantly falling off and cracking. They have a devoted following so maybe I just got a bum unit, but they're too pricey to go back for another. We fought over who would be forced to take it when we divorced. I ended up the winner in that round and kept my classic Oreck XL:

Less than 9 pounds and does a great job with my kid's allergies due to the HEPA filter in the bag. Swapping the bag takes 30 seconds and is much less messy than dumping out a bagless IMO.

10. Likes Donf, ljb187 liked this post
    One Henry, one Gtech.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Fair, but hardly practical.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    When I was buying a vacuum I took a lot of notice of their weights. My Hoover might have a crappy bag but I can hold it in one hand without my arm dropping off. I equivalent Dyson was at least 50% heavier. At that difference I found I couldn't care less sucking or bags or anything else
    My Dyson isn't heavy at all. And the best part? My brother paid for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OTGabe View Post
    Glad to hear that some others have had a bad experience with Dyson. My ex-wife wanted one for years and when we finally got it, it was beyond disappointing. Really poor on deep pile carpet, couldn't use it on the hardwoods because it left scuffs behind, and bits were constantly falling off and cracking. They have a devoted following so maybe I just got a bum unit, but they're too pricey to go back for another. We fought over who would be forced to take it when we divorced. I ended up the winner in that round and kept my classic Oreck XL:

Less than 9 pounds and does a great job with my kid's allergies due to the HEPA filter in the bag. Swapping the bag takes 30 seconds and is much less messy than dumping out a bagless IMO.
    I LOVED my Oreck. I still have it, but it's never used.