Likes Likes:  7
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Name a film (or three) you gotta see before you die

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    ^^^I've never seen any of his films, should I, or am I too old to really appreciate them now?
    They're amazing. The Dekalog of ten one hour films, each one pertaining to one of the ten commandments, is probably the place to start. Very spare and all ten filmed on the same Warsaw housing estate. Two of them were done in extended feature length versions: A Short Film About Love and a Short Film About Killing.

When I was younger I thought the Three Colours films perfect, but I've changed my mind about Red severely. Blue gets away with it thanks to an amazing performance by Juliette Binoche. White IS wonderful though. Very funny in a very Slavic way.

Double Life of Veronique hmm yeah too old now.

I would have to look up his older, pre-Dekalog stuff because I get confused. I can't remember the name of the one, for example, that Sliding Doors was copied off

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    They're amazing. The Dekalog of ten one hour films, each one pertaining to one of the ten commandments, is probably the place to start. Very spare and all ten filmed on the same Warsaw housing estate. Two of them were done in extended feature length versions: A Short Film About Love and a Short Film About Killing.

When I was younger I thought the Three Colours films perfect, but I've changed my mind about Red severely. Blue gets away with it thanks to an amazing performance by Juliette Binoche. White IS wonderful though. Very funny in a very Slavic way.

I would have to look up his older, pre-Dekalog stuff because I get confused. I can't remember the name of the one, for example, that Sliding Doors was copied off
    Oh, I might have seen at least one of the Dekalog films years ago...

The opening one is utterly harrowing, which kind of punches ones enthusiasm in the face.

When trying to work out which commandment is which film, it's useful to know that different branches of Christianity number them differently. Wikipedia is very helpful on this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

Of these mentioned, I've only seen Sliding Doors.

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

7. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Brick was contrived
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Brick was contrived
    Well, yes it was, but that was kind of the point, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Well, yes it was, but that was kind of the point, wasn't it?
    I dunno. Was it?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I dunno. Was it?
    I think so, the point was that it was a bit jarring at times, which made you think about the juxtapositions.

(I'm making this up a bit, it's years since I saw it)