Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An entirely new watch mechanism!

Hybrid View

An entirely new watch mechanism!

A few years ago I wrote a survey of potential future tech. At the time, I argued that the next new timebase would be a race between a watch compatible CSAC and piezoelectric carbon nanotubes. I’m delighted to say I was at least partially wrong:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/citizen-electrostatic-accutron-concept-movement-introducing

because this is so very very cool. It’s not a new timebase, but it is an infinitely more elegant solution than the springdrive for one simple reason: loading. The lateral force on the spindles will be featherlight and that means longevity. This is just a mix of tech, but it opens the door on to a way of measuring time that takes the advantages of the SD but eliminates its fatal weakness, the spring - and all the pent up energy it implies.

That's pretty cool

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    Check you my youtube channel - Blanchy Talks Watches

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    This is just a mix of tech, but it opens the door on to a way of measuring time that takes the advantages of the SD but eliminates its fatal weakness, the spring - and all the pent up energy it implies.

Although you could argue that it has a fatal weakness that the SD doesn’t have - a capacitor. Accuracy apart, it’s the mechanical storage of energy that most appeals to me in the Spring Drive.

4. Likes Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Although you could argue that it has a fatal weakness that the SD doesn’t have - a capacitor. Accuracy apart, it’s the mechanical storage of energy that most appeals to me in the Spring Drive.
    There are capacitors that have virtually limitless life ....... I’m not sure what chemistry these use in this watch though.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

6. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    There are capacitors that have virtually limitless life ....... I’m not sure what chemistry these use in this watch though.

That’s interesting.

Find out and report back.

🤔

On a concept watch , that doesn’t even show the rear ? 😝

I’ll make an optimistic guess it’s a solid polymer - virtually everlasting.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

9. Likes CFR liked this post
    That’s interesting.

We did this over on WUS years ago - Citizen have a commitment to batteries or capacitors being discrete elements that can be easily replaced, even in their monocoque watches. Unlike, as I found out to my cost, a certain well known German manufacture that makes solar powered stuff for whom a repair is simply a replacement movement and a RTB. As such, even if it comes with a lead acid pile, you'll be able to swap it out for their latest tech.

Either way, the problem with storing energy mechanically is it has to be held in stasis and that puts an enormous stress on the entire system. Storing it via conversion to chemical energy allows one to have it passively on tap with minimal strain on the whole system.

You are always going to need a reserve of energy, some sort of timebase, some sort of gearing and some sort of display. There are very few truly original timebases and all, so far, involve oscillation.

Personally, I'm always delighted to see any innovation in any of these areas, which is why I have such a soft spot for the electromechanical stuff. The idea of a slightly purer quartz electrostatic watch really excites me, and even this one, as a half way house, is hypnotic. What it also does is open up an new tech to apply to the new materials and techniques - electrostatics and graphene, for example, offer the possibility of wearable tech powered by the noise of your nervous system...

Pure fantasy at the moment, but...

Or is it:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/grap...upercapacitors

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discove...atch-revealed/

http://www.eeherald.com/section/desi...e_devices.html

I so love living in the future - we already have practical electrostatic motors made of scores of atoms, but using it to make a watch? Got to love Citizen!
    Last edited by Matt; Apr 6, 2019 at 08:23 PM.

11. Likes tribe125, skywatch liked this post
    Any idea how much capacitance is used (on average)?

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Any idea how much capacitance is used (on average)?
    The capacitive value, nor even the voltage has been specified, other than there is a capacitor I know nothing more on this watch design.

All I’ve seen on it is ‘we have this cool watch, this bit spins and the hands turn round.’

To choose a chemistry one needs to know at least the voltage, the capacitive value and the size constraints inside the watch casing.
    Watches for SALE:

14. Likes CFR, Mystic Nerd liked this post
    The capacitive value, nor even the voltage has been specified, other than there is a capacitor I know nothing more on this watch design.

All I’ve seen on it is ‘we have this cool watch, this bit spins and the hands turn round.’

To choose a chemistry one needs to know at least the voltage, the capacitive value and the size constraints inside the watch casing.
    I bet any half-decent 100,000uF/100V properly charged would do a wonderful job...on the wrist
    Last edited by CFR; Apr 7, 2019 at 05:55 PM.

16. Likes Seriously liked this post