Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Datefree dial and a 2824 movement: how's it done?

  1. #1

    Datefree dial and a 2824 movement: how's it done?

    My Nivrel has no date window and a 2824 movement.

    When I pull the crown out there are the usual two positions, and the first does nothing.

    If I adjust the time forwards 24 hours,with my ear pressed to the watch, I cannot hear any date mechanism moving.

    Has the date wheel been removed?
    Is this standard practice?
    Last edited by Der Amf; Apr 17, 2015 at 12:14 AM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My Nivrel has no date window and a 2824 movement.

    When I pull the crown out there are the usual two positions, and the first does nothing.

    If I adjust the time forwards 24 hours with my ear pressed to the watch I cannot hear any date mechanism moving.

    Has the date wheel been removed?
    Is this standard practice?
    I've got a couple of 2824 like that, and in both cases they have a fully functioning date setup (both timefactors kit). However the 2824 makes a clear thunk as the date slides into place so you really should hear it.

  3. #3
    If only I had a stethoscope

  4. #4
    I don't have any examples of my own, but I have heard of watches that have had the date wheel removed. That seems to make sense to prevent any damage to the date mechanism and any subsequent damage that may cause to other parts of movement.

  5. #5
    Moderator - Central tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Kent - UK
    Posts
    12,879
    There's a date keeping it's own time under the dial of my Max Bill. You should become aware of it if it's there.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I don't have any examples of my own, but I have heard of watches that have had the date wheel removed. That seems to make sense to prevent any damage to the date mechanism and any subsequent damage that may cause to other parts of movement.
    Would just removing the date wheel be enough to prevent damage? Are there not other parts of the mechanism that would need to be removed as well?
    Also, what damage could you realistically cause? Would it only be to the date mechanism?
    My new Archimede makes a healthy thunk at about 11. I've made sure this is 11pm so it shouldn't bother me too much.
    It still like of annoys me though
    Apeks | Archimede | Breitling | Bulova | Cabot Watch Company | Casio | Daniel Wellington | Davosa | Glycine | G-Shock | Hamilton | Nomos | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Slow | Swatch | Timex | Vostok

  7. #7
    I've had the watch 17 months and it's had plenty of wear so I will be surprised to discover a date wheel is clicking round. If it existed would I be able to hear it while moving the time forward 24 hours?

    This watch wasn't also made in a version with a date.

  8. #8
    Moderator - Central tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Kent - UK
    Posts
    12,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If it existed would I be able to hear it while moving the time forward 24 hours?

    Yes, I would say so. And as well as hearing it, you feel it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Yes, I would say so. And as well as hearing it, you feel it.
    Right I'm going to do it again, with it pressed very close to my ear, very slowly

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Yes, I would say so. And as well as hearing it, you feel it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Right I'm going to do it again, with it pressed very close to my ear, very slowly
    Absolutely nothing. The crystal on my watch wants cleaning though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us