Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Datefree dial and a 2824 movement: how's it done?

Datefree dial and a 2824 movement: how's it done?

My Nivrel has no date window and a 2824 movement.

When I pull the crown out there are the usual two positions, and the first does nothing.

If I adjust the time forwards 24 hours,with my ear pressed to the watch, I cannot hear any date mechanism moving.

Has the date wheel been removed?
    Is this standard practice?
    Last edited by Der Amf; Apr 16, 2015 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My Nivrel has no date window and a 2824 movement.

When I pull the crown out there are the usual two positions, and the first does nothing.

If I adjust the time forwards 24 hours with my ear pressed to the watch I cannot hear any date mechanism moving.

Has the date wheel been removed?
    Is this standard practice?
    I've got a couple of 2824 like that, and in both cases they have a fully functioning date setup (both timefactors kit). However the 2824 makes a clear thunk as the date slides into place so you really should hear it.

If only I had a stethoscope

I don't have any examples of my own, but I have heard of watches that have had the date wheel removed. That seems to make sense to prevent any damage to the date mechanism and any subsequent damage that may cause to other parts of movement.

There's a date keeping it's own time under the dial of my Max Bill. You should become aware of it if it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I don't have any examples of my own, but I have heard of watches that have had the date wheel removed. That seems to make sense to prevent any damage to the date mechanism and any subsequent damage that may cause to other parts of movement.
    Would just removing the date wheel be enough to prevent damage? Are there not other parts of the mechanism that would need to be removed as well?
    Also, what damage could you realistically cause? Would it only be to the date mechanism?
    My new Archimede makes a healthy thunk at about 11. I've made sure this is 11pm so it shouldn't bother me too much.
    It still like of annoys me though

I've had the watch 17 months and it's had plenty of wear so I will be surprised to discover a date wheel is clicking round. If it existed would I be able to hear it while moving the time forward 24 hours?

This watch wasn't also made in a version with a date.

If it existed would I be able to hear it while moving the time forward 24 hours?

Yes, I would say so. And as well as hearing it, you feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Right I'm going to do it again, with it pressed very close to my ear, very slowly

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Right I'm going to do it again, with it pressed very close to my ear, very slowly
    Absolutely nothing. The crystal on my watch wants cleaning though.