Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **** Top 10 Vintage affordable Seiko - Part Two ****

**** Top 10 Vintage affordable Seiko - Part Two ****

Well we see these threads often enough and they have the likes of the Pogue or the 6309 or the 6138 and the high beats, well I though their are affordable vintage Seiko worth keeping as well, so thought of my favourite affordable classics, so some will be ones I own some will be from the net for now, feel free to add what you think are the best affordable vintage Seiko . I will do them in random order as I think of them. think one thread for each one will work best, same opening paragraph then info on each one instead of one unmanageable list plus also gives chances for members to speak about each one.

Next is the whole five range, I think of the five series (even there modern mech five mil ) is worth holding onto in a way I have sold a few of them both modern and vintage. the modern five is a work horse of a watch just all work.

now vintage their was lots of design choices on these (plus with the help of the Indian spares parts watch house a great many franks some great some not so good these for the most part are cheap and cheerful I once badly over paid for one thinking all original but was not (mistakes of our youth in watch world) but it worked well for years and when sold lost about half what I paid so guess renting it was going to cost something

The movement I believe is a 61xx in it's many forms, day, day/date etc etc.

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Fig. 3

Fig. 4
    Seiko 6118A

Features
    automatic
    no manual wind
    sweep second
    date: quickset

Data
    12''', Dm= 27.0mm, Do= 27.4mm
    H= 5.25mm
    (dial spacer +0.2mm)
    F= 1.7mm
    T= 2.1mm
    17 jewels
    f = 21600 A/h
    power reserve 46h

Balance staff Seiko 315611

Stem Seiko 354617

Mainspring / battery
    Seiko 401615

Hands
    1.50 x 0.90 x 0.20mm
    Remarks
    1968-1975
    sophisticated excenter self-winding mechanism with just one gear stage (Fig.4)
    In the Seiko data sheet date quickset by pushing the crown is specified, but the parts list contains only the parts for quickset by turning the crown, and the example movement here has also quickset by turning.

family/generations:
    * ) quickset, turning crown (else pushing)
    **) day in 2 languages
    manual wind, 21600 A/h:
    6100A: -
    6102A: date
    6110A: like 6100A, Railroad Watch
    automatic, 21600 A/h:
    6105A: date*
    6105B: date*, hack feature
    6106A: day, date, hack feature, 2 rotor screws
    6106B: day, date, hack feature
    6106C: day**, date, hack feature
    6109A: day, date, smaller rotor
    6117A: date*, GMT 24h
    6117B: date*, GMT 24h, hack feature
    6118A: date*
    6119A: day, date, 2 rotor screws
    6119B: day, date
    6119C: day**, date
    chronograph, 21600 A/h:
    6138A: hour counter, day*/**, date*
    6138B: same, modified switching mechanism
    6138A: day**, date
    6139B: same, modified switching mechanism
    automatic, 36000 A/h:
    6145A: date, Grand Seiko
    6146A: day, date, Grand Seiko
    6155A: date, GS Special
    6156A: day, date, GS Special
    6159A: date*, Diver 300
    6159B: date*, hack feature, Diver 600
    6185A: GS Veri Fine Adjusted
    6185B: dito, hack feature
    6186A: day, date, Unruhstop, GS Veri Fine Adjusted

Example, year: signature; shock device
    1975: Seiko, 6118A, Japan, 17 Jewels; Diashock

and the modern has a 7s26 ?

Fig. 1

Fig. 2
    China 7S26

Features
    automatic
    no manual wind
    sweep second
    day: quickset, 2 languages
    date: quickset

Data
    12''', Dm= 27.0mm, Do= 27.4mm
    H= 5.2mm (5.6mm with ball bearing and day-disc spring-clip)
    F= 1.65mm
    T= 1.75mm
    21 jewels
    f = 21600 A/h
    power reserve 45h

Stem Seiko 351260

Hands
    1.55 x 0.90 x 0.18mm
    Remarks
    made in China
    ball-bearing rotor
    except total height compatible to Seiko 7S26A/B, 7S36A/B (Dm, Do, stem position, dial feet)

Example, year: signature; shock device
    2005: - ; China

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes Greg, Strela167, CFR, Pip, DJW GB liked this post
    The Seiko 5 name came out of the five attributes that were meant to be embodied in the watches:
    1: Automatic winding
    2: Day and Date
    3: Water Resistance
    4: Crown at 4
    5: Durable
    However, Seiko being Seiko they didn’t follow the rules and quoted different ones at times. There is actually a quartz 5 model that comes up from time to time for sale. As far as I can tell they were released in the Middle Eastern market only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    The Seiko 5 name came out of the five attributes that were meant to be embodied in the watches:
    1: Automatic winding
    2: Day and Date
    3: Water Resistance
    4: Crown at 4
    5: Durable
    However, Seiko being Seiko they didn’t follow the rules and quoted different ones at times. There is actually a quartz 5 model that comes up from time to time for sale. As far as I can tell they were released in the Middle Eastern market only.

yes mate was waiting to see if any one would ask or say and yes I had slightly different five listed but it seems it had always had five outstanding features that made it a five series suppose to me it is the day/date being one of the most noticeable feature on most of the lines ..even thou a few lines had neither .
    they just was just good quality for ever day use and hard working and durable yes and on mine their was price as well as they was always affordable whether from new or second hand
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

6. Likes Pip liked this post
    these was mine .. some say the crown is one not so much the position but that it is recessed in to the case

To be a SEIKO 5, the watch has to have the following 5 (five) attributes (thus the name SEIKO 5):

1. Automatic, 2. Water resistant, 3. Shock resistant, 4. Date, 5. Day.

modern seiko 5:

Please note that some SEIKO 5's are in fact SEIKO 4's, if the "Day" function is omitted, then the Caliber 7S25 is used. The only difference to the normally found 7S26 is the omission of the day wheel. Also re-issues of SEIKO 5 Sports often use the 7S36 caliber. Again the 7S36 is similar to the most popular 7S26, yet it features 23 Jewels as opposed to the 21 Jewels in the 7S26. Please note that all these movements beat at a rate of 21'600 bph (beats per hour) or 6 bps (beats per second). As a comparison, an ETA 2824-2 beats at 28'800 bph or 8 bps. A Miyota 82xx beats at 21'600 bph. Why do I mention these three movements? Because they are found in probably 80% of all inexpensive automatic wrist watches. A market share that is huge, yet challenged these days (2006) by an increasing share of inexpensive China Made automatic movements.
    Last edited by is that my watch; Apr 12, 2019 at 06:48 PM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

8. Likes Pip liked this post
    I have several old fives in the locker, great to tinker with as parts are plentiful. And I also have this beauty which is an anniversary special and has a 4R36 24j movement.

I have several old fives in the locker, great to tinker with as parts are plentiful. And I also have this beauty which is an anniversary special and has a 4R36 24j movement.

thats a nice one

yeah I go through phases of what I like had a dozen or so fives both vintage and modern don't think got any at the moment I'm on seiko quartz at the minute got a few lord and want some king and grand quartz .. I picked up a probably mid 80's set of seiko quartz early and also something a bit special but not saying till I can see what sort of condition it's in they was very limited on info and pics was way dark too, so took a half century punt on it so could go either way
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

11. Likes Pip liked this post
    Also the 5 range has just been changed a bit, some say downgraded. And for the first time in quite some time they’ll have a new 5 logo which has predictably been slated in the Seiko community. They’ve removed the shield and made it like superman!

yeah that rumbling have been heard for years that they was going to do that but it always seem at the last minute they came to their sense guess the discerning voice retired and the kids are in charge of the sweet shop .. maybe trying to pull in the younger hipsters as I would not go near that logo .. think it prove's the old 5 is one for my list as I thought
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

14. Likes Pip liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    thats a nice one

yeah I go through phases of what I like had a dozen or so fives both vintage and modern don't think got any at the moment I'm on seiko quartz at the minute got a few lord and want some king and grand quartz .. I picked up a probably mid 80's set of seiko quartz early and also something a bit special but not saying till I can see what sort of condition it's in they was very limited on info and pics was way dark too, so took a half century punt on it so could go either way
    Looking forward to seeing what you get, can’t go much wrong for a bullseye though.

16. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Looking forward to seeing what you get, can’t go much wrong for a bullseye though.

thanks mate had maybe a bit of luck for a change

I got a ralco too looks fair con bit of water damage / or the clear varnished dial is pealing maybe or could be dirt (yes they say it's had a new crystal so guessing dirt /damp like on my old smiths where it sat in a draw for years crystal less ) but it looks sorta right think if not their it would not have spike my interest and the price may have been higher so yes got three tat lots.

1 set of two seikos one quartz one mech
    2 one special seiko ..
    3 the ralco lot ..

Last edited by is that my watch; Apr 13, 2019 at 07:56 AM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

18. Likes Pip liked this post