Likes Likes:  200
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The watch your Dad wore

I don't have a watch from my father - but here's my grandfather's watch. He purchased it new in 1935. The dial has been re-painted. I wore this for a few years after he gave it to me (ca. 1963) - and it's in my pocket all week (it came up in the rotation). It's a bit smaller than my usual pocketwatch, but I like it anyway.

Name:  Waltham28980028front.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  120.7 KBName:  Waltham28980028movement.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  141.0 KB
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

2. Likes mlcor, CFR, FuzzyB, Colin, OhDark30, Uber, Samanator liked this post
    My dad never wore a watch until he fell in love with one of the first Casio calculator watches... Long since gone... I do recall that as a child it absolutely infuriated me that he insisted on wearing it on the inside of his wrist ... I have no reason for the intensity of the annoyance it caused me other than that the aesthetic appalled me beyond words.... I bought him a Citizen Aqualand many years ago for his birthday with every spare penny I had when he started scuba diving.... Of course he did the same thing LOL and wore it once in the water... Then he told me that it was beeping at him all the time (on account of his ascent rate equalling that of an ICBM) ... It's fate remains unclear... But I never saw it again.... Bless...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Colin liked this post
    I’m exhuming this old thread to add to it. My father passed away recently as most here know. He was 92, and was in the Texas A&M Class of 1949. His buddies in ”A” Company, Signal Corps, in the Corps of Cadets, gave him a Hamilton pocket watch in his senior year, when he commanded that outfit.

I did not get his Aggie Ring—my mother wanted that to remain with him—but I do have the watch. It needs attention. The crystal is missing, the balance staff is broken, and the bow is gone. I plan to take it to Roland Murphy for restoration. It’s a Grade 917 in a Wadsworth gold-filled case—a good watch but not Hamilton’s best.

The serial number, which I entered in the Pocketwatch Database in 2013, resolves to 1948.

I also received an Illinois Marquis Autocrat from 1926, also 10-size, but I don’t know whose it is. I think it’s more likely my grandmother’s than my grandfather’s. She died the year I was born. The Illinois runs but needs service.

The Hammy will get the royal treatment.

Rick “Texas A&M Class of 1980” Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post

Quite right too. The watch deserves it, as do you and your father.

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There’s a bit of a story to this, but i’ll get to that later.

This is my dad’s solid gold Longines, circa 1946-47. He died in 1990. I have a number of his things, and I’m pleased to have them, but this watch is, by far, the thing that means the most to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    I’m exhuming this old thread to add to it. My father passed away recently as most here know. He was 92, and was in the Texas A&M Class of 1949. His buddies in ”A” Company, Signal Corps, in the Corps of Cadets, gave him a Hamilton pocket watch in his senior year, when he commanded that outfit.

I did not get his Aggie Ring—my mother wanted that to remain with him—but I do have the watch. It needs attention. The crystal is missing, the balance staff is broken, and the bow is gone. I plan to take it to Roland Murphy for restoration. It’s a Grade 917 in a Wadsworth gold-filled case—a good watch but not Hamilton’s best.

The serial number, which I entered in the Pocketwatch Database in 2013, resolves to 1948.

I also received an Illinois Marquis Autocrat from 1926, also 10-size, but I don’t know whose it is. I think it’s more likely my grandmother’s than my grandfather’s. She died the year I was born. The Illinois runs but needs service.

Rick “Texas A&M Class of 1980” Denney
    Servicing my late father's Hamilton and my late brother's Zodiac were the most rewarding watch things I've done. Even if I almost never wear them, it just made me feel good. I wasn't nearly as lucky as you, since my father passed away when I was a teenager.

P.S. Give Roland my regards. I wonder if he's sold some of the skeleton design we made...