Likes Likes:  8

Thread: This is one exhibition you really cannot miss...

Hybrid View

This is one exhibition you really cannot miss...

It’s Art, worse, it’s Conceptual Art, but It’s bloody amazing.

https://www.turnercontemporary.org/exhibitions/katie-paterson-and-jmw-turner

It’s all about deep time and big space and innocuous displays that explode in your imagination: a long necklace hanging suspended in space. Cool, but meh - and then you read that each bead is from a fossil from the earliest moments of life to the latest fossils that aren’t just bones. A sudden shift of perspective.

A spinning platter five feet across with a smear of dark, light and colour, moving too fast to see. The bumph explains that the artist chased experts for the average colours and shades of the universe from the Big Bang to now. There’s proper physics behind the colours and it’s all there and explained. Then it’s whirled too fast to see.

Or the piano playing the moonlight sonata with odd rests and twists - made by translating the sonata into morse, firing it at the moon and retranslating the signal that bounced back. Then playing it on on a self playing piano.

I could go on, but no, you must go to this show - it’s beautiful, deep, whimsical and bloody clever, with satisfyingly proper science behind art that leaves you stunned and thoughtful.

I have pictures, but they just don’t do it justice.

Just go. If you can, trust me, just go. Those who know me know I do a lot of art, theatre and that sort of thing. This is special, and for WIS it’s uniquely wonderful.

Go, go for the full moon, because they will be lighting the candle...

2. Likes tribe125, skywatch, Pip, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Blog Entries
    If only I were near Kent, I would love this. Thank you for the review!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

I’m in Kent but never think of going ‘all the way up there’ - which turns out to be thirty-six miles, now that I look at it...

5. Likes Pip, Seriously liked this post
    That looks a bit awesome that does. Will see if I can squeeze it in, thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks amazing!
    I've been a Turner fan since high school and i first saw Rain, Steam, and Speed. This looks like a fantastic exhibit, I only wish I could see it.

Ms. Paterson mentions Turner's mixing colors for his works, if you're interested, Winsor Newton paints has an interesting short article on the subject. It's titled:
    Palettes of the Masters-JMW Turner
    dated Oct. 2011
    Last edited by boatme99; Apr 13, 2019 at 04:00 PM.

8. Likes Matt liked this post
    Too far away, but would love to see it.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Well, I went -

Name:  EDCB96BD-F15F-4740-A305-71FF53D8187C.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  58.0 KB

and I was a bit underwhelmed.

The artist has had some neat ideas but it didn’t add up to anything illuminating or memorable.

There might be something wrong with me.

But I’d never been to Margate before, and we had a nice day out.

Name:  D5D0EE64-6651-47A6-9EF9-3D955D11FC0C.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  34.4 KB

11. Likes boatme99 liked this post