Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vinyl returns

vinyl returns

i am fascinated but not at all surprised that i am hearing frequently now that vinyl records are on the way back- for a minority i'm sure they never went away - but now there will be a whole new generation who have never known them -the joy of carefully wiping and dropping an expensive cartridge onto a shiny disc will return no doubt - this was something like my first record player in the late 50's - i think it held aloft ten singles or four lp's Name:  images.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  6.7 KB it was basic to say the least but it welcomed the Beatles into my bedroom

2. Likes gnuyork, DJW GB liked this post
    I think the physical, organic appeal of a record player is probably similar to that of a mechanical watch. When you're looking at it and using it you can kind of figure out how it works, which you can't with digital music (or watches)

4. Likes shameless, gnuyork liked this post
    I always thought vinyls were a marvel..a needle bouncing on bumps and grooves and it captured sound so well.

When vinyls finally died off and I briefly went to cassettes and then CDS I actually missed the jumps and skips that felt like part of the tune.

I still have tons of vinyls stored in my Mother's..be nice to get them out again.

6. Likes shameless, gnuyork liked this post
    check this 'muther ' out from the 40'sName:  PC040022.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  142.1 KB i'm sure too there will be a huge revival in state of the art sounds in vintage cabinets

8. Likes Chicolabronse liked this post
    I have a little collection of vinyl. I absolutely love vinyl and I was born really post-vinyl (1988).

The revival of vinyl has been going on for a number of years now. I started buying records in high school.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

I discovered vinyl less than 6 months ago and now I am an addict. I didn't appreciate my dad's set up as a kid, because tapes and CDs were cool at the time, but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

FYI, this Saturday is record store day in the states. I'll be out and about, buying records.
    Last edited by gnuyork; Apr 17, 2015 at 06:03 PM.

11. Likes shameless liked this post
    In truth, though I'm 61, I don't miss records, and I had a considerable collection once. Between scratching, dust, wraping concerns there was always the horror of seeing a beloved cover with it's image being worn away.
    But what I miss are record stores. For you young-uns out there imagine a place like the music department of a Barnes and Noble but about 20 times bigger. Ahh, musical nirvana.

Huh, while I was typing I see gnuyork posted indicating there are still record stores! Not in Dallas at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    FYI, this Saturday is record store day in the states. I'll be out and about, buying records.
    Thanks for the reminder I know what I will be doing this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    Huh, while I was typing I see gnuyork posted indicating there are still record stores! Not in Dallas at any rate.
    I am willing to bet you that they are out there.

I know of two in Huntsville AL and Huntsville has a population about 1/10th the population of Dallas.

i remember Branson's first scruffy Virgin shops opening - very basic cellar like , some with old mattresses on the floor to sit and listen - he did alright !! the special attraction to me was the cover art work - very often the cover not the content sold the lp- btw how would a 'record store day ' happen ?Name:  25-most-iconic-album-covers-of-all-time-20110527043619944-000.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  19.9 KBName:  25-most-iconic-album-covers-of-all-time-20110527043617725-000.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  53.2 KB
    Last edited by shameless; Apr 17, 2015 at 06:25 PM.